News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Codtone Expandra *Boards Now Available!

Started by Guitarmageddon, March 17, 2013, 12:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarmageddon

Codtone Expandra (original Bixonic Expandora)
This is my prototype board, all built, tested, rocked and boxed. :D
It's a great sounding od/distortion with Crunch, Overdrive, Distortion and "Forbidden" modes.
It has a wonderfull touch sensitivity thanks to a rare and unusual opto-fet arangement that controls the gain with pick attack.

The original opto fet, a surfacemount PC914, are obsolete and have become difficult to track down, this board ingeniously (thanks CJ!) allows the use of a surface mount PC914 or a DIP 6 H11Fx instead. 8)
I have tracked down a good source for both of these componants, and will be doing a run of boards for the DIY crew.  Board purchase will include an IC. As you can see, they're also small enough to fit a 1590B or a tuna tin if you want an authentic looking enclosure. :wink:

The etch is of Pandora, a myth that intrigues me for what it says about human curiosity...and, of course... women. :wink:
I'm hoping there'll be a few of you curious enough to try this build out.

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

hammerheadmusicman

I'm in for one! Your. Etched are too good by the way!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

spaceboss

Oh heck yeah.

Fantastic pedal, fantastic etch. I've been searching for the forbidden mode.  8)  I'd be totally down for building one.

jubal81

I'd actually never heard of this before. Looks interesting. I'd give it a go.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

njkke

juansolo

Yup, totally up for a couple of those!

Sweeeeet.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jimijam

i have a few of the original optos for this. I definitely want a board for this.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

the3secondrule

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

micromegas

hmmmm... looks interesting....
I think Jacob (jkokura) has this project in his "upcoming projects" list
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

gtangas

Rip57

Forbidden mode? Intriguing. Nice build and nice etch job.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

Guitarmageddon

Thanks!

I think it's fair to say, although the original maker specifically said to not set the switches that way, naming it "Forbidden" ensured that that was the first thing guitarists would try. ;D

I'll see if I can get a demo done in the next day or so, no promises though. There are quite a few Expandora clips on youtube, though I must admit, not many good ones. :-\
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

jimijam

for some time this was billy gibbon's favorite pedal. he actualy had TWO of them stuffed into a telecaster!
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

Guitarmageddon

Here's a demo.
While noodling around, I tried to show the dynamic range of the effect as much as possible. I didn't use the guitar volume at all, and had the gain maxed for each mode. Youtube and all compresses it but hopefully you'll get the drift.

Also, I've ordered a batch of boards, they should arrive in a week or two. I'll post a notification in the buy & trade section then with a link to my site where they can be purchased.
There'll be a build doc, some mod options, and the board purchase will include either a PC419 or H11F3 optofet. :)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

fendman

Love that etch.. Would you send to the UK ?? if so count me in :)