News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

powering drives with 18v

Started by jolly1423, March 27, 2013, 02:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jolly1423

I'd like to experiment with powering some of my builds with 18v's. What are some guidelines to know which ones can handle it and which can't? I know that I need to check my caps...What are typical green poly caps rated for? Some that I'm wondering about at the moment are my egodriver, thunderpuss, kingslayer, egghead, boneyard, sabertooth, la veche...
I know that not all pedals (maybe even most) don't really benefit from higher voltage. Part of it is I'd like to experiment and part of it is I'd like to be able to use the 18v outputs on my power supply when I've run out of 9v outputs.

Scruffie

If it's a modern Dual or Single OpAmp, you are most likely fine at 18V, check the datasheet, it'll probably list -15/+15V or the same but with 18 but as we're using single supply that translates to 30 or 36V.

Some CMOS distortions (A CD4XXX Chip) may not be safe over 15V, again, check the chip datasheet.

Those greenies usually come in 25, 50 or 100V I think, so once again, fine, check the code on them if they have a full code but they don't tend to come under 18V.

The Kingslayer is running at Bipolar 9V I recall so that's already technically 18V as far as the chip and we are concerned, that's what the ICL7660/MAX1044 or LT1054 in it are doing.

Transistors? You guessed it, check the datasheet, it'll give you the max voltage rating.
Works at Lectric-FX

jolly1423