News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder pad melted

Started by bmcash, March 31, 2013, 03:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmcash

Anyone ever had a solder pad melt when soldering a component to the board?  It's so frustrating.  I was almost finished and the last two components had their solder pads melt and left no connection to the board.  Any idea what causes this?  Solder gun to hot?  Heated too long or too close to the board?

Have a good one....

jimilee

Quote from: bmcash on March 31, 2013, 03:09:39 AM
Anyone ever had a solder pad melt when soldering a component to the board?  It's so frustrating.  I was almost finished and the last two components had their solder pads melt and left no connection to the board.  Any idea what causes this?  Solder gun to hot?  Heated too long or too close to the board?

Have a good one....
I'd say any one of these will cause that.did you just get the component soldered to what ever was next in the trace?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bmcash

I will try solder the component to the trace.  I needed a break from before I ruined something else.  Haha.

jimilee

Quote from: bmcash on March 31, 2013, 03:25:18 AM
I will try solder the component to the trace.  I needed a break from before I ruined something else.  Haha.
for sure. It's slightly harder to solder it to the trace rather than the next component in line,but you'll get it,stepping away is the ideal thing to do.i try to never solder after about 10pm,it's just trouble.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bmcash

Solder to the next adjacent component is a better idea........thanks!

gingataff

yep, if in doubt go point to point.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

jimilee

Quote from: bmcash on March 31, 2013, 03:30:41 AM
Solder to the next adjacent component is a better idea........thanks!
Hey man,How'd it turn out?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jimilee on March 31, 2013, 03:27:26 AM
Quote from: bmcash on March 31, 2013, 03:25:18 AM
for sure. It's slightly harder to solder it to the trace rather than the next component in line,but you'll get it,stepping away is the ideal thing to do.i try to never solder after about 10pm,it's just trouble.

I was thinking of this.. and I seem to do my best work after 11:00pm... What I do is drill all my enclosures before 10:00pm so my neighbors won't kill me and I populate them all night. As long as I am in bed by 2:00am I can survive the next day.

bmcash

Sorry for the late response.  I finished the pedal last night.  I ended up having to use excess wire to "pont to point"wire the components together.  It actually fired up on the first try.  Lesson learned........don't let the iron get too hot.

Thanks for the comments and interest...

jimilee

Quote from: bmcash on April 15, 2013, 02:01:03 AM
Sorry for the late response.  I finished the pedal last night.  I ended up having to use excess wire to "pont to point"wire the components together.  It actually fired up on the first try.  Lesson learned........don't let the iron get too hot.

Thanks for the comments and interest...
Excellent can't wait to see and hear it.