News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2n404a equivalent?

Started by jighead81, April 04, 2013, 07:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jighead81

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was any equivalent to the 2n404a that I may already have? Can I just use any other germ tranny?  I also have some from Russia but I have no idea what they are or if they'd work.  I got them on ebay a long time ago.  They have russian on them and "8804"  "TT404F"  "N4160783".  I can socket it and try out some with different values, but thought I'd check and see if there's any other ones I can order too.  Thanks

jighead81

And also, what's the best tranny tester circuit out there?  I know I've seen a few

midwayfair

Any other PNP with hfe 50-100 will be in the right range. If this is for the perc, the lower the better, and leaky is fine. Use junk transistors for that one, basically.

Tremster

I had the same issue the other day when finishing my PepperSpray, the original diodes and 2n404a are absolutely unobtainable in Europe.
I ended up using 1n34a for the diodes and an EFT83C at around 75 hfe IIRC - and am very pleasantly surprised, as I wasn't expecting too much, to be honest.

jighead81

Thanks guys.  Yes, this is for the pepperspray.  I missed the sale, so I'm gonna build sabro's vero of it.  I got a 50pk of tele OA126 diodes to throw in there too like in jons vid, should be fun.

Stomptown

Quote from: midwayfair on April 04, 2013, 08:31:58 PM
Any other PNP with hfe 50-100 will be in the right range. If this is for the perc, the lower the better, and leaky is fine. Use junk transistors for that one, basically.

This is good news! I just bought some 2n404a's for pretty cheap and was kind of bummed that all but one fell in the 50-60 range. I guess I can build a perc!