News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This is not a pedal - but its terribly usefull !

Started by Thomas_H, April 05, 2013, 09:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_H

How do you store your resistors ?
I am not sure what the best way is to do that but I found that using a drawer cabinet is not optimal - once you have your values sorted into it you are fine - but when a new value comes in later - do you really rearrange all values to get it in between ? NO!

So for quite some time it looked like: ;D

Yesterday I saw this box. And I had an idea!

I found some strong paper and cut it into strips. Then I labeled it and put it into the plastic bag. Securing the bag and the paper with some clear film.

Before that I made sure the box holds 3 rows the width of the playstic bags and used the cover cut to stripes as dividers.

It took me three hours to complete the job but right now I have the ultimate sorting and storing utility fro my resistors.

After I had completed a little more than half of the bags I noticed that I was distributing resistors into existing bags more than creating new bags  ;)

Right now I know that I am overstocked in about 10 values and understocked in about 5. I also know now that I have 77 different resistor values  :-*

DIY-PCBs and projects:

dondougie

Thanks for the inspiration! My resistor/cap boxes look much worse than your "before" pic, and everytime I'm looking for one value it takes minutes because I have to look through almost ALL the bags, I really hate it :D

A drawer cab wouldn't work for me neither, so this is a great idea! Now I know what to do tomorrow :)

pickdropper

I'm a big fan of these component boxes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Kit-Components-Boxes-Patch-Parts-Interlocking-Storage-Box-SMT-SMD-Kits-Lot-/121037293755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c2e6288bb

I already have my resistors sorted in Plano style boxes, but I use these parts bins for caps.  I also have smaller ones for SMT components.

The cool thing about these is that they are individual boxes that snap together, so if you add values in between other values, it is really easy to unsnap and rearrange them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Comfort Player

Originally I started with the multicompartment boxes, but that required to much reorganizing.  One day I built this and have never looked back

Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

alanp

Quote from: Comfort Player on April 05, 2013, 12:27:33 PM
Originally I started with the multicompartment boxes, but that required to much reorganizing.  One day I built this and have never looked back

I think I'm going to have to pinch that idea and keep an eye out for envelopes suitable for that :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

Quote from: alanp on April 05, 2013, 12:30:27 PM
Quote from: Comfort Player on April 05, 2013, 12:27:33 PM
Originally I started with the multicompartment boxes, but that required to much reorganizing.  One day I built this and have never looked back

I think I'm going to have to pinch that idea and keep an eye out for envelopes suitable for that :)

I'm with you! I'm going to do this asap. Great excuse to suck down a case of Capri Suns!  ;D

davent

Great ideas!

Cut down a couple old Ikea magazine holders, perfect for 3x5" ziploc bags from Staples, hold thousands of components and take up very little room.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

I really like the envelope idea. But how many do they hold before they start to bulge out? For some values I have 300-400 each. Same for caps.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

These are great ideas,there's gotta be a Martha Stewart among us with THE perfect idea!  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

For large quantities of a single value, this is with caps, i'll just divide them between a couple bags.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Comfort Player

Quote from: culturejam on April 05, 2013, 06:48:07 PM
I really like the envelope idea. But how many do they hold before they start to bulge out? For some values I have 300-400 each. Same for caps.

I would say the envelopes hold 75 or so without to much bulging. I have a box in the garage with the bags of resistors from mouser and when the envelop runs low I replenish from there.
Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

jtn191

I just wanted to say thanks for the idea! An unused looper enclosure is perfect for Tayda baggies