News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ZPM and buffered Apis

Started by juansolo, April 05, 2013, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Zero

This is a peach of a delay. Really excellent sounding. Looking forward to building it's bigger brothers now.

Only had one issue with it. I was getting clock noise from the LFO through the jacks directly underneath. Some metal tape between insulation tape and grounded to the case soon reduced that. It hasn't got rid of it completely, but it's barely audiable now.

Mini Klone

For some perverse reason I decided that my Small Klone wasn't small enough. So decided to replace it with a buffered Apis... Yeah, I won't be doing that again. Still works perfectly and the guts don't do any justice to what a PITA is was to box up.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Quote from: juansolo on April 05, 2013, 11:17:03 AM
For some perverse reason I decided that my Small Klone wasn't small enough. So decided to replace it with a buffered Apis... Yeah, I won't be doing that again. Still works perfectly and the guts don't do any justice to what a PITA is was to box up.

It doesn't show -- you make this look effortless! Eternally clean and tidy with good looks...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

I was saying that today when I'd done the Zero. I looked at it before I dropped the board in (jacks/power/stomp/LED all in and wired) and there didn't appear to be anything in there... It feels good as that's the idea. But it doesn't 'look' that difficult... I also don't do myself any favours by making the pots board mounted wherever I can :)

midwayfair

I'd just like to point out that your buffered Apis looks OMG CLEAN compared to my hack job.

>:(

Great idea on the ZPM's shieding. I'll keep it in mind if I can ever get mine into a box. :)

(Awesome graphic on the ZPM, by the way.)

jubal81

Beautiful work. Some masterful epoxy work, too - thin, even and perfect.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

Nice work!
QuoteYeah, I won't be doing that again.
Hehe... I can relate, those tight builds have traumatised me

juansolo

Quote from: jubal81 on April 05, 2013, 12:45:37 PM
Beautiful work. Some masterful epoxy work, too - thin, even and perfect.

Ah the mini's are old school primer, paint and lacquer. We can't get the Envirotex thin enough to get the 9mm pot threads through sadly :(

Stomptown

Both look great! I'll bet that Apis was a major headache but it looks really clean inside IMO. Great graphic choice as well; especially the Apis!  ;D   I need one of those Apis boards. Does anyone know if there are any left?

midwayfair

Quote from: Stomptown on April 05, 2013, 04:18:46 PM
Both look great! I'll bet that Apis was a major headache but it looks really clean inside IMO. Great graphic choice as well; especially the Apis!  ;D   I need one of those Apis boards. Does anyone know if there are any left?

I'm pretty sure Jimmy has plenty left ... he told me he thought he ordered enough to last a lifetime.
https://sites.google.com/a/beejivepedals.com/beejive/home/projects/apis

jprizz

I'll just second everything everyone else said... Wow!

jimmybjj

Really great builds! Really nice how you made the apis buffered, looks stock, incredible.

Quote from: midwayfair on April 05, 2013, 04:42:10 PM
Quote from: Stomptown on April 05, 2013, 04:18:46 PM

I'm pretty sure Jimmy has plenty left ... he told me he thought he ordered enough to last a lifetime.
https://sites.google.com/a/beejivepedals.com/beejive/home/projects/apis

I have a small supply :)
Pcbs no longer available

danwelsh

You refer to metal tape between insulation tape to reduce clock noise on the ZPM.....i dont follow? I built one and it has clock noise that i would love to reduce.

juansolo

The board sits on top of the two jacks. We were getting ticking from the LFO which is directly above those, even bypassed.

So we covered that area with insulation tape, then put a layer of metal tape (used for shielding and the like) on top of that that stuck to the sides of the enclosure so it was grounded (you could also just put a wire from it to ground). Then we covered that with another layer of insulation tape, thus enclosing the metal tape so it doesn't short against anything.

The board then sat on top and the clicks are now barely there. I reckon if I'd rotated the jacks, putting the signal wiring as far away as possible from the board, that would have got rid of it completely. But that would be a full strip down job to do that.

Rip57

[quote author=juansolo link=topic=9198.msg80479#msg80479 date=1365236405
So we covered that area with insulation tape, then put a layer of metal tape (used for shielding and the like) on top of that that stuck to the sides of the enclosure so it was grounded (you could also just put a wire from it to ground). Then we covered that with another layer of insulation tape, thus enclosing the metal tape so it doesn't short against anything.
[/quote]

Brilliant! And beautiful artwork as well.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

gingataff

Nice work and good call on the shielded jacks!

I had the same problem on my ZPM, so I just cut a piece of 0.5mm aluminium sheet, drilled a small hole for a ground wire, taped it up and slid it between the board and jacks.
It makes everything a bit of a squeeze but the clock noise seems to be gone, even with very high gain.

I like this pedal a lot more now.