News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

33. Tube Sound Fuzz + Red Llama [BUILD BOTH ADDICTION SYNDROME]

Started by Liustucru, April 11, 2013, 08:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Hello,
when I began DIYing, I wanted to build a Snarkdoodle so I bought the version 1 fabbed board. But I had not built it yet when the new version came out with mojo lead spacing for some caps. So I bought this new board too (thank you Brian, please take my money again  ;) ).

Recently, I was wondering which one to build first and what specs TSF or WHRL to choose. The answer was obvious : "BUILD BOTH !!!" and the second answer was obvious as well : "BUILD BOTH IN ONE BOX !!!".

So here comes my TSF + RL 33rd build.
I tested a new configuration for me: one ON/OFF switch (on the right) and one A/B switch (on the left). The LEDs on top indicate which one is selected with the A/B switch and the third LED above the right switch indicates if the effect is ON or OFF. I can't activate both at the same time but I like the idea to have one with low gain settings and the other with higher gain, and be able to switch easily from one to the other.

I chose to build the WHRL with some mojo components (caps = the bigger the better !!!) and no boost switch and the other board for the TSF specs with the boost toggle switch.

Concerning the finish, it was some kind of stroke of luck. I was sanding the enclosure before painting it. A friend at work told me about the ultrasound cleaning machine we have. So I gave the enclosure a bath in the machine and you can see the result. Not clean at all but I really like the way it looks !!!
Then I used the usual stamping process with black ink for the lettering and white knobs to contrast with the rusty box.

Oops, I almost forget to say it sounds really great with a huge amount of volume. I think I prefer the WHRL and the TSF with boost switch engaged is too noisy. I also have to say that it sounds very good after a fuzz !!!

alanp

The day will come when you will wonder "What would they sound like together?"

Oh, /yesssss./

More seriously, me likee. Reminds me of the Improv. Explosive Device from last month :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Liustucru

Quote from: alanp on April 11, 2013, 09:08:59 AM
The day will come when you will wonder "What would they sound like together?"

Oh, /yesssss./

More seriously, me likee. Reminds me of the Improv. Explosive Device from last month :)

Thank you.
I take the risk.
But if I wired them separately to be able to activate both at the same time, another day would have come when I would have wondered "Would I put the WHRL before or after the TSF ???"... wait for it ... ADD AN ORDER SWITCH TOO !!! So I would have realized that it would have more switches than knobs !!!

OMG, the world is cruel. If I keep on thinking like this, I will have to box my builds only in 1590DD to fit all the switches  ;D

Be reasonable Gillian, oh yes, be reasonable !!!

Cortexturizer

Great man! I particularly like that you are numbering your builds, something that I should have done, dough!

I am as well, a big supporter of the "caps = the bigger the better" mantra  :D
Still, there is that ESR characteristic, somebody told me that two of the same caps, let's say 1uF, will have a significantly different sound if one is rated at 25V and the other at 600V. Something like "less top end frequencies, less treble", i don't quite remember, but my own experimentation showed this to be true. That's the reason why I sometimes build very fizzy and trebley fuzzes with over the top volt rated caps.

Cheers, great build!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

televisiondown

Very clever! Great looking build ;D I've always been tempted to build the TSF, but I love my Llama so much I don't know if it's necessary. Any chance you'll be posting a video or audio clip?
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

Bret608

I like this a lot! Nice caps indeed. I'm working on a second Pepper Spray and have been digging around at work for large caps to use. One of them has leads almost too big to fit through the holes!  :D

Is that a pink diffused LED, and if so, what CLR value did you use? I'm hoping to use this on my Standard Fuzz. I have an on-board 4.7k CLR, but since I haven't boxed the circuit yet, I have time to change the CLR if that value isn't ideal.

Liustucru

Quote from: Bret608 on April 11, 2013, 02:10:33 PM
I like this a lot! Nice caps indeed. I'm working on a second Pepper Spray and have been digging around at work for large caps to use. One of them has leads almost too big to fit through the holes!  :D

Is that a pink diffused LED, and if so, what CLR value did you use? I'm hoping to use this on my Standard Fuzz. I have an on-board 4.7k CLR, but since I haven't boxed the circuit yet, I have time to change the CLR if that value isn't ideal.

It is a standard red 5mm diffused LED with standard 4.7k CLR. But with the ambient lighting it looks like pink !

Thank you all for the comments !

Stomptown

This is a beautiful build! That finish is awesome. I love it when something unexpected happens like that. I might have to grab one of those boards before they are gone...

Liustucru

Stomptown

Quote from: Liustucru on April 12, 2013, 07:11:34 AM
Yes, grad one quickly !!!

I gues s I should have done it last night! They're gone...  :'( I guess I'll have to make my own board...

slimtriggers