Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

0. (Zero Point Semi-Deluxe) and Tap Tempo Cardinal

Started by midwayfair, April 13, 2013, 12:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

O.
Brian's awesome delay, with tails:

The modulation is a single 1M dual gang pot. The depth side is shrunken to ~400K with a 220 K in series, basically all of what I thought was the usable range (if I want no depth, I'll just turn off the mod ...). I found that the depth seems less intense as you turn up the speed normally ... it works really cool this way, the depth gets more extreme with higher speed, and it's one less knob to fiddle with.

I think the analog mode is a bang-up job -- really just outstanding and Memory Man-like, and better than any other "Analog-voiced" PT2399 I've heard. I think the Multiplex beats it on the Tape sound; the ZP has more of a dirty tape sound than what I generally prefer. Not sure what to think yet of the Shimmer and Deep modes; the deep mode seems fine but the shimmer mode isn't quite what I was expecting. It's more of just a less-filtered sound.

The 30K trimpot is to dial in the slam switch. I've more or less set it for "twice as many repeats," so it oscillates or does infinite at a lower point on the dial but doesn't immediately get crazy.

Tap Tempo Cardinal

The TAPLFO implementation of my Cardinal Tremolo, to replace the tap tempo tremolo that's been on my board for the last year. It's got all six controls -- four of the controls are on dual concentric pots (waveform and distort on the right and rate and divider on the left). The depth and volume are on the outside.

It sounds good, but there's some ticking in harmonic mode in the square and triangle wave settings at higher depths. The "normal" tremolo is fine, though, and actually quieter than the regular tap tempo tremolo (i.e. no ticking in any setting).

Not sure what's going on with the lighting in the first picture ... the bypass indicator is green, not clear.

jprizz

Is this Cardinal the fabbed version you eluded to in you initial build report? I've been looking forward to this, hope you can figure out the clock noise.

jubal81

Very, very nice. Really impressed with how you got so much and so many features in a small package.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Quote from: jprizz on April 13, 2013, 05:58:33 PM
Is this Cardinal the fabbed version you eluded to in you initial build report? I've been looking forward to this, hope you can figure out the clock noise.

No, the fabbed version will be a TL072-based LFO, not the TAPLFO. The two vactrols are expensive enough project without adding the TAPLFO chip plus shipping from Smallbear to the list ... the other version didn't have any ticking, and the fabbed version also has separated ground planes and an electronically isolated LFO.

The ticking noise in this one isn't clock noise. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but it's even more prominent in my MusicPCB Tap Tempo Tremolo, and here it's only in the hard wave forms at higher depth settings in Harmonic mode ... not really a situation that's going to be relevant.

MattOcaster

Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com