News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone feel like checking my layout?

Started by Fastocker, January 16, 2011, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastocker

Hi, I hope this request doesn't violate forum rules since this isn't a Madbean project specifically --- if it does, please just delete.  Anyway, after successfully building several pedals from kits to Madbean projects to many Vero layouts, I decided to try one from scratch, i.e., do my own Vero layout from a schematic.  I chose to do a germanium Fuzz Face with a few 'boutique' mods, basically the Fulltone '69 pedal but without the contour control . . . so a three knob, positive ground germanium fuzz face with the addition of what Fulltone calls the bias knob.

I put the Vero together and hooked it up to my test board but it doesn't work --- bypass signal works and, when I click the footswitch on, nothing changes --- it still sounds like the bypass signal and the volume, fuzz and bias controls don't seem to do anything.

Here are two schematics I kind of followed --- one is the basic Fuzz Face and one is the '69 pedal.

Here's the Vero layout I came up with --- I'm hoping someone can take a look and see if there are any errors in the Vero layout.  I'm going to check my build to make sure everything is as shown on the Vero and will check the wiring as well, but I needed a fresh set of eyes to verify the Vero.  Note that I spaced everything out so that I could lay down the resistors and use axial caps and transistor sockets.

Thanks, all!

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

madbean

Looks good. I don't see any mistakes. I do prefer the bias pot hooked up the opposite way though. The way you have it when the pot is fully counter clockwise it will reduce the fuzz. When fully clockwise it will give you maximum fuzz. I prefer it the other way around because it differentiates it from the way the fuzz pot works.

One thing missing on your schematic is another 10pF cap between collector and base of Q2. On the '69, this is soldered on the trace side of the board.

Fastocker

Thanks for checking the layout, Brian.  Will have to go over my Vero build with my magnifying visor on to check that I have everything in place as it should be, then go back and double check my wiring.
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe