News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boss Super Chorus

Started by pedalman, April 09, 2013, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

A friend of mine broke his Super Chorus and gave it to me to fix.
He said it was working fine till he plugged in the 9v jack.
First place i should look is the cap at the 9v right ?
How would a bad cap read ?
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

DutchMF

If I were you I'd check the conection of the 9V jack to the board first. I've seen those joints come loose from usage and managed to repair a 'broken' VS H2O Chorus that way

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

nzCdog

The first step is determining as much as you can about exactly what happened when it failed.  Which power supply?  Did he hear or smell anything, did it get hot? etc.  That might give you more clues as to what to look for.  

nzCdog

Quote from: DutchMF on April 09, 2013, 08:18:38 PM
If I were you I'd check the conection of the 9V jack to the board first. I've seen those joints come loose from usage and managed to repair a 'broken' VS H2O Chorus that way

Paul
Or this^ :)
Usually always something simple

hammerheadmusicman

yeah, i would guess the plug took a bump, or someone trod on the plug ro something. Check the pad or track hasn't lifted, actually physically give it  a wiggle, cause sometimes those suckers look like they are fine, until you wiggle them and they lift up! Next port of call would be the cap!

Good Luck

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

pedalman

Thanks guys. All he told me was he may of used the wrong adapter. He only got 3 months out of it.
I will me cracking it open Thursday
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

Scruffie

Quote from: pedalman on April 10, 2013, 06:49:02 AM
Thanks guys. All he told me was he may of used the wrong adapter. He only got 3 months out of it.
I will me cracking it open Thursday
If he used the wrong polarity, you may just need to change the polarity protection diode if it has one, if it doesn't, that's a bigger problem.

If he used AC, you are probably looking at a rather large debug.

If he used over voltage, anything not rated for whatever voltage he used may be dead by now.
Works at Lectric-FX