News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What determines a projects difficulty level?

Started by das234, April 09, 2013, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I'm developing my want list of pedals to build but still haven't built my first one.  I see that the projects usually have a difficulty rating associated with them but I don't know what makes them "genius", "cowboy", etc.  In particular, I want a honeydripper and a smallstone but they're both rated as very difficult.  What makes them so difficult compared to a "noob" or "cowboy" level project??  Should I panic and run the other way?   :-\ I do have some easier projects I want to build as well that I can learn from before I tackle the harder ones.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Lots of parts, sometimes harder to find parts, complex circuits that take some experience to debug...things like that. If you know how to identify values properly and you can perform a clean reliable solder joint every time then theres nothing to worry about.
Both projects you listed are complex, grab something easier when you make your purchase and give that a go first!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Thomas_H

Genius means that they are complicated in a way. Either there are a lt of components (approx 80-100) or they are very dense so some good soldering practice is required. or both ;)
If you do have an electronics background that does involve using a soldering iron you still can tackle it.
You also should be familiar with resistor corlor code and capacitor labeling and their usual sizes.
This is essential to really make no error in populating the board. Even for experienced builders it can be very hard to fix a high densit board.

You may want to start with one of the easier builds and you will gather the experience needed to build the more complicated ones at a later stage.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

jubal81

Good advice, guys.

I actually have a populated Honeydripper board I've been meaning to post for sale. All you'd have to do is the wiring and drilling the box.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

das234

Thanks guys.  I'll hone my skills on the easier stuff and then move up.  I'll watch for that post, juba, or you can message me about the board for sale (although that would rob me of my sense of satisfaction from conquering the project myself).

aballen

Good move.  Get at least one way build under your belt.  If it turns out to be tricky do a few more noobs.

You'll know when you are ready to move up to something more difficult.

If you want to go super easy you can source a kit that includes all the components and a pre-drilled enclosure.  GGG and BYOC have some great kits that come complete.

TNblueshawk

Bottom line for me Das is the troubleshooting aspect of it. Man, I'm here to tell you if you have a lot of parts and your build doesn't work you can spend hours trying to find out why. You learn a lot but it is frustrating even if you know what to look for, more or less. I think I did maybe 3 builds before I jumped into a BYOC vibrate with a gazillion parts. Take your time and double check what you shove into those holes and if you can make a good joint you are good.
John

das234

Quote from: TNblueshawk on April 10, 2013, 09:19:51 AM
Bottom line for me Das is the troubleshooting aspect of it. Man, I'm here to tell you if you have a lot of parts and your build doesn't work you can spend hours trying to find out why. You learn a lot but it is frustrating even if you know what to look for, more or less. I think I did maybe 3 builds before I jumped into a BYOC vibrate with a gazillion parts. Take your time and double check what you shove into those holes and if you can make a good joint you are good.

That's kind of what I thought.  I think I will be ok following instructions and soldering but, if something goes awry I'm screwed troubleshooting because I have a big vacuous space in my brain where the electronics knowledge should be.  (although you guys on the forums are super helpful).

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: das234 on April 10, 2013, 11:27:24 AM
That's kind of what I thought.  I think I will be ok following instructions and soldering but, if something goes awry I'm screwed troubleshooting because I have a big vacuous space in my brain where the electronics knowledge should be.  (although you guys on the forums are super helpful).

Id say the average of us started with zero electronics knowledge and gained it through the experience and repetition. And you know we'll help you with whatever!
I'm remembering some guy over at Byoc who's first build was their analog delay. He got it going first try so nothing is impossible!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals