News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NTD

Started by RobA, November 07, 2014, 03:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

T is either for tool or for toy -- not sure which is more true at this point.

I finally got an oscilloscope. After waffling back and forth for months about which DSO to get, I went with analog  ;D. I got a GW-Instek GOS-630FC. It's relatively cheap, has a built in frequency counter in the LCD display, and reminds me of being in physics labs in school.

In the foreground of the pic is the Flintlock, which was the first patient.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

The A/DA flanger is a very good excuse for picking up an o'scope! :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

danwelsh

How much exactly is relatively cheap lol.

catfud

Nice - didn't know you could still buy oscilloscopes with a CRT

RobA

Quote from: alanp on November 07, 2014, 04:28:42 PM
The A/DA flanger is a very good excuse for picking up an o'scope! :)
Yep, although I have been able to get it sounding really nice with only the frequency counter so far. Now that I have the calibration doc for it, I'll see how much better I can get it.

Quote from: danwelsh on November 07, 2014, 07:21:42 PM
How much exactly is relatively cheap lol.
Good question. I was mentally comparing it to the price of a low-end DSO or a used analog that's certified to be in calibration and has all of its parts. (Almost every scope I found on CL or eBay didn't have the probes and most didn't have the power cord.) I paid right at $400 US for it with shipping included. As long as it lasts forever, it'll be a pretty good price for it. It does look to be built well.

Quote from: catfud on November 08, 2014, 01:41:58 AM
Nice - didn't know you could still buy oscilloscopes with a CRT
Yeah, me either. I wasn't expecting to see a new analog scope anywhere. I just happened across it when searching for DSO's when I was at the height of my annoyance with the pretty crap sampling bit depth of even the really high-end DSO's. It is much bigger than the DSO's, but it's got way more mojo ;).
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).