News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Instrument and patch cables?

Started by CapnCrunch, January 04, 2011, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnCrunch

Anyone here making their own instrument and patch cables.  I've been reading various boards and blogs on the topic of cables and their effect on tone.  I have to admit, I've gone pretty far down the rabbit hole.  If you believe half of what you read, you absolutely have to have Van den hul cables for your entire chain.  You should also not complain that your new cables cost more then your amp and all the boxes on your board combined.  After all, you can puff your chest out for days on the gear page ;D  If you can't tell, I'm pretty sceptical.  That being said, I do believe based on experience, that some cables to do sound noticeably better then others.  Especially if you have more then one or two effects in your chain. 

So, I'm wondering if any of you DIY types are building your own cables to go along with your roll your own boxes.  If so, what are you using, other then solderless?  I have an acquaintance that swears by Lava cables.  You can get the small diameter Lava cable for pedal boards for about $1.90 per foot.  I think I'm going to buy about 20 feet, and enough Neutrik plugs to re-do my board.  I haven't been able to find their regular instrument cable in bulk, however.

Anyone have any suggestions for high quality instrument cable for the DIY'er?

jkokura

I build all my own cables.

You have the right idea though, use Lava Cable mini ELC and either some wilderness ends, or some GLS pancake ends, or some Neutrik NP2x or 2P2Rx ends and that's great for the board.

For amp or guitar cables, I have used Canare G6 and neutrik ends for years. Great sound on a budget. I'll upgrade to lava cable or some evidence audio lyric HG one day.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

CapnCrunch

Jacob,

Do you have a source for bulk instrument cable?  I would try Canare in a heartbeat if I can buy it in bulk and build my own.....

Thanks

gtr2

I use this place for cable http://www.redco.com/

Here for the gls pancakes http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Both have quick shipping and good prices.  I just got some mogami 2319 for some patch cables and canare for guitar to board.  All meet the cork sniffer standards ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mjcyates

I have built most of my patch cords using Lava mini ELC and a combination of solderless and pancake plugs. My cables from guitar to board and board to amp are Canare G6 with Neutrik plugs. Most of my cable supplies have come from lavacable.com.

masterlk

I built my own. I used cable from AV Cable and then Switchcraft connectors. I should have gone with a smaller profile like the pancake though, takes up a bit less room. I also got a 6 pair bulk cable from here and made my own pedalsnake. I plan on re-doing the board at some point with the small diameter cable too.

http://www.avcable.com/

camsna

I always build my own. Mogami 2524 is the cable you want (it's like 75 cents/foot at redco.com). The cable hype in my feeble opinion (but backed up by the highly respected opinion of the best ears I know) is mostly voodoo. I have a better-than-most set of ears and I hear no "improvement" between the Mogami and anything more expensive (Evidence, VDH, etc.) The Mogami is a little dark, George L's a little bright. Mogami is what LA Sound Design (and Bob Bradshaw, and Dave Freidman) use(s). Sounds great, lays flat, looks slick...

Connectors? Whatever you like. I use Neutrik or Switchcraft usually. Though Effectsconnection has the buck-a-piece flat connectors that I'm really liking for patch cables. I wouldn't use them for anything that I'm going to be plugging and unplugging often. But for my pedal board, they're great!

Marcelo

I also build my own and tried different cables/connectors. after trying different brands, I agree with camsna. mogami cables, Neutrik connectors for guitar/amp connectors (try the silent plug for the guitar end: http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/204_826925229/Silent_Plug_productlist.aspx. i love it!) or Switchcraft#228  right angle flat connectors for the pedalboard. they take very little room allowing you to place your stompboxes right next to each other.
for cables, i use the mogami 2319 for the pedalboard (small diameter and very flexible) while I use mogami 2524 (larger diameter) for the guitar/amp cables.
hope this helps,
m

CapnCrunch

Thanks for the replies guys.  This is one of my next projects.  Not as fun as pedals, but it needs to be done.

Ang3lus

i'll test this theory about mogami soudning better/equal to the Van Den Hul, the VDH hybrid is the best cable i've used to date.

camsna

Quote from: Ang3lus on January 06, 2011, 11:36:28 PM
i'll test this theory about mogami soudning better/equal to the Van Den Hul, the VDH hybrid is the best cable i've used to date.

Please do. In my experience, the VDH doesn't sound "better" than the Mogami. It sounds a little different, but it's a difference, not necessarily an improvement. I would happily use either and be pleased. But Mogami is about 15 times cheaper...so...it wins. It's not "like taking a blanket off your speakers."

You, however, might like the different sound and find the VDH, therefore, to be "better" than the Mogami. And if the difference you hear is both "better" and worth the scratch to you, then I hope sincerely that you enjoy it with all your might!

I will say, though, that I suspect that when one spends that kind of didg for cable, that one might be hearing (at least a little, eh'?) with one's wallet. I know I would be.

Please keep us posted!

Beedoola

bumping this instead of starting new thread.

Anyone else making instrument cable? I just ordered a lava pedalboard kit cause they had a 30% off sale, but I couldn't justify spending the $80 a piece for 2 12' cables.

Anyone building their own instrument cables? What cable and plugs are you using?

jmwreck

I thought I was the only one here making canare patch and mogami guitar cables. :)