News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger speed pot

Started by soldersqueeze, April 14, 2013, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldersqueeze

If I can't get hold of a 100kC dual-gang pot can I wire a 100kA pot in backwards and use it in reverse? Would it make any difference in response?

jimilee

I've looked at the curves and they are the same except reversed.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

Linear (B) is probably the best alternative.  'Reverse Audio Taper' is often confused as an Audio taper wired backwards... that's not the case.  Taper is simply the change in resistance for change in rotation, and can be represented in a graph to help you understand how they behave.

You can read RG Keen's article on Pots here if you wnt to understand pots better

soldersqueeze

I don't see how the graph doesn't show (for example) the resistance between legs 1 - 2 of a reverse log pot at 30% rotation wouldn't match up with legs 2 - 3 of a log pot at 70% rotation, but i'll read the article again anyways  :'(

nzCdog

Sorry I guess I missed the point of your original question Soldersqueeze... my bad ::)  Type A taper will have the same response wired backwards, only it will operate in the opposite way; so if turning right with C Taper sped things up, now turning right will speed things down :)

jimilee

Quote from: nzCdog on April 14, 2013, 03:42:51 PM
Sorry I guess I missed the point of your original question Soldersqueeze... my bad ::)  Type A taper will have the same response wired backwards, only it will operate in the opposite way; so if turning right with C Taper sped things up, now turning right will speed things down :)
This
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

soldersqueeze

Thanks guys

So to confirm- I can use the 100kA if I can't find a replacement then? Wiring pad 3 to lug 1, pad 2 to lug 2 and pad 1 to lug 3 and using it so clockwise rotation slows the speed?

nzCdog