News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which wire?

Started by ichilton, April 16, 2013, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichilton

Hi,

What wire do people use for wiring the offboard stuff (pots, jacks, switches, power)?

Will the thickness affect the sound at all?

I prefer to use stranded as solid snaps too easily when you are moving around trying to solder & test, but then I got some 22AWG stranded from Tayda and it doesn't fit through the holes on the etched boards i've been building.

I've got a load of cat5, which is solid and snaps very easily, but is nice and thin, and neat as it's twisted together in pairs (although, will that cause a problem?) - but it's very thin....will that affect the sound at all?

Also, do you build them loose so you can test before boxing, or do you fix pots, switches etc in the box and solder wires in place?

Thanks,

Ian

jubal81

I'm pretty sure most of us use 24 gauge pre-bonded, which is a bit thinner than 22 gauge. It's stranded, but 'pre tinned' so all the strands are sticking together when you strip it.

I pretty much exclusively use 'Barry's best' from GuitarPCB.com. I've gotten spools from Newark of NTE, which are great and pretty cheap, but it doesn't hold its shape like the stuff Barry stocks.

As for technique, I generally cut the wire extra long, solder it to the PCB and then route, measure and cut after it's in the box.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

ichilton

Thanks - i've seen the Barry's stuff mentioned before somewhere, but the shipping from guitarpcb.com to the uk is extortionate.

Ian

jubal81

Quote from: ichilton on April 16, 2013, 09:47:15 PM
Thanks - i've seen the Barry's stuff mentioned before somewhere, but the shipping from guitarpcb.com to the uk is extortionate.

Ian

Newark is Element 14, so you can easily get the spools of NTE in Europe.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

- David Fair

ichilton

Ah, bummer - US stock with a big delivery charge..doh!

At least I know to look for 24AWG now - i'll have a search around.

Thanks,

Ian

GermanCdn

Yeah, 24 Ga is a bit easier to work with.  I use the solid wire from Tayda to make my own board mounted pots.  I've never had much success with Barry's wire, although truthfully that's more likely to do with inadequate wire strippers at the time.

I also tend to make my own wire combos (two, three, and four wire) using Jacob's cordless drill technique.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jubal81

Newark is the U.S. arm of Element 14, if I understand correctly. You can change the country at the top right corner of the webpage.
- David Fair

ichilton

Yeah, but on the UK it shows US stock with a one off delivery charge.

GermanCdn

Quote from: ichilton on April 16, 2013, 09:55:30 PM
Ah, bummer - US stock with a big delivery charge..doh!

At least I know to look for 24AWG now - i'll have a search around.

Thanks,

Ian

If you're struggling with shipping charges from the States, buy your wire from musikding or banzai, both in Germany.  Shipping's cheap, wire's good, and they sell nice multi packs.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

ichilton

cool - i'll check them out - thanks!

ichilton

bigmufffuzzwizz

I finally handled the apex Jr. Teflon wire and I must say its the highest quality I've ever seen.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Haberdasher

Quote from: jubal81 on April 16, 2013, 09:58:02 PM
Newark is the U.S. arm of Element 14, if I understand correctly. You can change the country at the top right corner of the webpage.
It is element14.  I think in europe they go by the name farnell.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS