News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

basic PCB question

Started by youngstownguitar, January 07, 2011, 07:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngstownguitar

I have a couple madbean PCBs here.  A zombii V.4 and slambox V.3.  The PCBs are just black on one side while the other side has writing.
Does it matter which side gets soldered?  I have looked at other builds here and it seems that all of them have the components on the writing side and the solder on the black side- but I would Like to do it backwards.  Would this work or is there a rule?

Thanks!

rowland1

Hey. I checked my slambox and I have components on the black side with soldering done on the side with the traces. If you add your components on the side with the copper traces (where the writing is also) you would have to solder on that side too. You'd also have to reverse the pins on any transistors as those would now be backwards.

Anyway - hope I didn't misunderstand the question - hope that helped.

youngstownguitar

Great

So I will put the components on the black side and the solder on the traced side.  

I wont reverse any transistors or pots or anything then- right?

stecykmi

it's assumed that the solder side is "down". that makes it much easier to solder because no components are in your way.

youngstownguitar

Ok I guess my real question is:  Are the layouts and PCBs intended for the solder on the black side or on the written side?  I just dont want to accidentally do it backwards and have all my transistors and pots reversed.

jkokura

I'm not sure what you mean by written side. Can you post some pictures for us?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

youngstownguitar

Sure. 

On the left is the zombii with the written side up- what is the actual term for this? The etched side?
On the left is the slambox with the written side down.

I am concerned because as you see the pots I have are board mounted.  If I wire everything on the wrong side they will all be backwards right?  I think the pots and the components should be on the black side and the solder on the etched side- am I right?

rowland1

You are correct. You have to solder on the side with the traces, so components go one the other side. Now fire up your iron and get to work.  ;)

rowland1

Sorry - Traces = writing = etched side.

youngstownguitar

Thanks a lot.  Sorry for the stupid question.  I just would have hated to have wired everything backwards

jkokura

You wouldn't have been able to make it work the other way. The solder adheres the part's lead and the copper together. On the black side, there's no copper, so the parts would not adhere together at all. The way the pots are in now are correct.

If you need more help, feel free to ask!

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Myramyd

Also remember that you have to look at the layout of the components in the layout PDF "backwards"--in other words, the copper (soldering) side of the PCB is backwards from the component side. I always have to triple check to make sure I'm putting things in the right spot but, I haven't had any problems yet.

I'm sure you will get it but, just in case.  :P

J

madbean

Just to clarify: the layout image in  the documents shows the topside where the components are placed. The traces in the picture show what's directly underneath, so if the pcb material were transparent that's exactly how it would look. So, when you flip the board over and are looking at the trace side, it is flipped backwards from the layout image.

youngstownguitar

great

now i can solder with confidence

thanks