News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Asteroids!

Started by pickdropper, May 01, 2013, 05:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is a Lunar Module build.  It was difficult to get all the lettering in the shot, so I took photos from a bunch of different angles.  In person, it's easy to see all the lettering straight on.

This is the first time I used the new 1590A friendly 3PDT board I made.  Worked out OK.

It is also my first experience with PPP's new screen printing service.  As you can see, the white lettering is wonderfully vibrant.  Unfortunately, it's not very stable.  If you really look carefully, you can see that the label for the Fuzz knob is missing.  It started flaking off right as I was finishing up this build (a bit frustrating), so I just flaked off the rest with my fingernail.  You can't see that it was even there, which indicates how poor the adhesion is.

Because of the paint issues, I will soon rehouse it, or just build a second one in a laser etched enclosure.  As you can see, the laser is not as vibrant as the printed white, so it isn't my first choice for this particular build.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Parra

that graphic is so friggin cool, and the guts are just out of this world, they shoul start making clear 1590A enclosures just for you so everyone could see that beautys insides!

micromegas

there are a lot of T-shirt screenprinting stores here in my city. I'm going to take on of this pictures and a bare black enclosure I have and go to all of them to see if any could do it.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

midwayfair

Awesome build -- shame about the screen printing. :( Make sure you give PPP feedback. Maybe a clear coat and bake will be an option after the printing.

jprizz

THAT. IS. FRIGGIN'. AWESOME!
Too bad about the silk screen but still amazing.

raulduke

Very cool dude.

Awesome PCB layout too.

Shame about the printing.

If its any consolation I think the lazer etched version looks cooler  8)

angrykoko

Love any old style gaming themes! Looks awesome!

+1 for laser. 
I mean what else would you shoot asteroids with besides a laser?

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jimmybjj

Awesome build, awesome graphics and awesome layout :)

Is the laser etching deep enough to backfill? I've done a chem etch and backfilled with crayon before. Might be a different way to get a bright white in there.
Pcbs no longer available

pickdropper

Quote from: raulduke on May 01, 2013, 06:24:29 AM
Very cool dude.

Awesome PCB layout too.

Shame about the printing.

If its any consolation I think the lazer etched version looks cooler  8)

Thanks, that is a consolation, actually.  :-)

I have another populated and tested board.  Instead of rehousing, I think I am just going to build another one up.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: jimmybjj on May 01, 2013, 06:37:35 AM
Awesome build, awesome graphics and awesome layout :)

Is the laser etching deep enough to backfill? I've done a chem etch and backfilled with crayon before. Might be a different way to get a bright white in there.

Thanks Jim.  I actually tried backfilling a bit, but the paint pen was having dispensing issues (no paint or LOTS of paint).  I've backfilled before, but nothing with lines this tight.  I didn't try crayon, though.  Not a bad idea.
Function f(x)

stevie1556

When I read the thread title, I instantly thought of that game! Opened the thread, and then saw the spot on graphics! Absolutely epic game, remember playing it when it came out in the late 80's I think!

The pedal looks great and the insides are so tidy! Well done on a great build!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

juansolo

8) Made of the purest awesome  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

eldanko

FAVORITE.

I've gotta get my Lunar Module working...
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on May 01, 2013, 06:02:47 AM
Awesome build -- shame about the screen printing. :( Make sure you give PPP feedback. Maybe a clear coat and bake will be an option after the printing.

Yeah, I reaches out to them yesterday after the first box had problems.  Hopefully, they can adjust the process to fix that.  There are a ton of ways that printing can go wrong, so it is probably his a matter of pinpointing the root cause.
Function f(x)