News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestion for diodes in Darkside

Started by small fish, January 04, 2011, 03:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small fish

Hi,
I´ve used the search function, but the bot told me to start a new topic, coz the old one hasn´t been posted in for about several months  :P

So here´s my question:
I´ve just finished my DS today, and was a little disappointed (yep, I´ve read the other topics / opinions) bout the sound. So I´ve started to change the diodes inside:
1N34A: same prob with my pedal: low volume, nearly no distorted sound possible (screwed all pots to 11)
1N914: sounded like a chainsaw to me. As I tried to switch my tube amp to lead channel, it sounded like "he puked" the sound out --- crap
1N60P (germanium): Sounded nice, to my ears, more highs but no "chainsaw"
BAT42: not tested yet
1N4148: not tested yet

Any advice, what´s useful / recommended to put inside?

tia to all

@madbean: so far I´ve built the Snarkdoodle and the Neutrino and I think, I´ll continue with your pedals  ;D
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

jkokura

1n4148 are very similar to 1n914s.

Bat41 diodes could be cool to try.

Have you thought about try LED's.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

BAT41's and a 500k gain pot are my preference for the Darkside. Try this and you won't be disappointed. A 1n cap across lugs 3&2 of the 500k gain will also increase the usable range of quite a bit.

stecykmi

Quote from: madbean on January 04, 2011, 05:22:51 PM
BAT41's and a 500k gain pot are my preference for the Darkside. Try this and you won't be disappointed. A 1n cap across lugs 3&2 of the 500k gain will also increase the usable range of quite a bit.

interesting...

small fish

@jkokura: LEDs? Hmmmm, it´s alway the easiest way to think about at the end  ::) *dough*

I´ll try them tonight.

Next time I´ll place an order, I´ll give the BAT41s a try.

Does anybody know, what´s inside the original G2 pedal? On their website, they talk about some mystic "germanium" sounds. I couldn´t find gut-shots, to take a look at the inside, but I´ve read that the darkside was built after a production model?

regards

madbean

The Darkside comes from a direct tracing of a production unit that was facilitated by a group effort on freestompboxes. Dirk Hendrik did the actual tracing, and an absolutely outstanding job on it.

The mystery is in the exact clipping diodes used. Much like the Klon, I don't think the exact type is known. There has been much discussion about using different diodes on fsb and I encourage you to take a look at this thread: http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9255

As you get to the later pages you will find build reports with the results of using different diodes.

With the first version of the DS, I emphasized 1n34a, but this was not the best choice. 1n60 germaniums seem to be the better alternative. With their higher forward voltage there is less of a volume drop through the clipping section, and some people seem to think it brightens the pedal up.

I suggested BAT41 earlier in this thread as another alternative because they have quickly become my favorite clipping diode. They retain a lot of the character of germaniums, but they are not germaniums: they are Schottkys with a low forward voltage.

With any Muff, I think it's good to socket the diode section. Using different types has a major impact on the overall feel. There are no wrong choices, but there are better choices depending on your gear and playing style. This is where the fun comes in with DIY because you aren't locked into a box...you can alter it to suit your needs. I do feel the mods I've listed in the project doc give it a more balanced and open sound that will appeal to a larger number of builders. Of course, I don't have a G-2 so I can't give you a side to side comparison....only the benefit of my experience with building it and experimenting with different components and values.

In short, I would try experimenting with a few different ones: 1n60, BAT41, 1n914, and if you are feeling really adventurous, use 2n7000 mosfets wired as clipping diodes. If anyone wants to know how to do this, I can draw up a little diagram.

Haberdasher

I've been curious about how to use mosfets as clipping diodes, so I'd been interested in seeing a diagram.  I've also read about someone using darlingtons in the same way.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

small fish

Quote from: madbean on January 05, 2011, 03:44:40 AM
The mystery is in the exact clipping diodes used. Much like the Klon, I don't think the exact type is known. There has been much discussion about using different diodes on fsb and I encourage you to take a look at this thread: http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9255

Woops. I thought, I´ve read every thread at FSB.....

Put some BAT42 inside (which I had, actually) and the thingy is getting to live (some of the muddiness is gone already). I´ve read at FSB bout putting the Eternity in front - another thing I´ll try with the Neutrino, maybe I try my COT50 clone.
I´ve struggled with my strat and a Fuchs Plush Cream pedal. I couldn´t understand, why everybody told me, that it was a gem of a TS. To me, it sounded just like any other TS. I actually bought an HAO Sole Pressure, put it in front and the sun began to shine! I´m really impressed.
So, I´m going to change some more diodes, rebuild my pedal board....and yes, I´d like to see the diagram for the mosfets, too!

BTW, how has all that goop been removed? The Plush looks like the G2 - just in bright orange!  :D

Update: D1 and D2 --> 1N60, D3 and D4 --> BAT42, et voilá, I´ve found my new diodes. The neutrino in front, just made my Duncans sing! Sounds really sweet now! That one´s a keeper!

small fish

@madbean & jkokura
got some BAT41´s today and they´re worth every penny  ;D thx to you guys!!!

I´m gonna try changing the pot next

regards