News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

v3205 Aquaboy Deluxe

Started by twin1965, May 01, 2013, 11:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twin1965

Partial build report. Rockin' before boxin'! Worked first time! Just waiting for a matt white 1590bb box to put this in. Decal art already done.

Used: v3205, SA571 and MN3102. The multi-turn trimmers are the only ones I could find in the correct values. You have to turn them a million times before they do anything! They don't fit comfortably as you can see but the important thing is that they work.

Using recommended (socketed) resistors. Have not had enough time to test other values but these seem to work fine. The modulation works fine with these values. You can go from standard modulation to pretty wild when set to square wave.

Using the much maligned v3205 but it works very well in this circuit. With minimal tweaking I can barely hear any distortion or clock noise. You'll always get some noise with this type of circuit but that is expected. Its part of its character. You get some lovely analogue delay out of this!

When I have more time I'll tweak it to its optimal 'settings' and box it up :)

This is a great project and many thanks goes to Madbean for the great design and all the testing and tweaking!

rullywowr

Rock before box!  Very nice!  Do you have an idea about the enclosure yet?

;D

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

twin1965

Yep. Matt white 1590BB. I'm probably going to use this:

I'm using laser water slide decal. I just need a good laser printer! Will clear coat after although it will be the first time I do this.

spaceboss

I like how the socketed resistors are just chilling across the top.

Good work too. I felt a similar sense of relief/joy when the completing the similarly difficult Dirtbag delay.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome! I've been weary of using the v3205's but from what your saying I think I'll give it a try..
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

MattOcaster

Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

aballen

Nice job man.  Also the multi-turns can be annoying, but you have much more precision, and that can be useful when dialing out things like clock noise, or distortion. 

I think the ones you have are 20 turns, just think, where I get maybe 30 degrees, you are getting ~ 5 turns.

twin1965

Yes it does make it easier. If I had an oscilloscope I could really hone in on the calibration!

Just received my enclosure so I'll be boxing this up soon. Only problem is that my only 9V power supply has gone faulty >:( Been using batteries to test it out but this really needs a good stable dc source to work properly.

Will be trimming those resistors as well. Madbean's recommended values work just fine.

aballen

I wish I had an oscope, but they are like $300 USD for the low end ones.  There are cheaper ones out there, but I don't think the sampling rates are good enough, they are just toys.

madbean

Quote from: aballen on May 04, 2013, 12:19:14 PM
I wish I had an oscope, but they are like $300 USD for the low end ones.  There are cheaper ones out there, but I don't think the sampling rates are good enough, they are just toys.

This would get you started, at least.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/dso-nano-v3-p-1358.html?cPath=174

DutchMF

That artwork rocks!!! Still pondering what to do with my own ABDX, but I'll get there.... Keep us posted dude, good luck!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

twin1965

Finally finished but not without some issues! My first clear coating experience was a disaster.

I used Rustoleum Polyurethane Finish. The first coat went relatively well. The decal bubbled up a bit around the holes but this can be covered by nut/washer/knobs so not a big problem. Left it for two days and tried another coat. This time half of the lid and three of the sides developed an 'orange peel' effect! There was also a little bit on the part that says 'analogue delay' but its not totally visible until you look closely. I had to sand down the ruined parts. It doesn't look fantastic but hopefully I will make a better job of clear coating next time!

Another problem I had wast that the modulation didn't work once I boxed everything up. It was working fine outside! The delay was unaffected. I prodded around a bit and checked for continuity but couldn't find anything wrong. So I took everything out. It wasn't too difficult to do (luckily!). Nothing looked out of place and the modulation was working. So I put everything back in and its working as it should! Electron Gremlins!!

Now I can start my Multiplex Echo :)

DutchMF

WOW!!!!! So friggin' cool!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Cortexturizer

that looks awesome man. imperfections in the finish are always a plus in my book. fantastic build. could you provide a sound sample or two maybe?
rock on.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jvg13

Looks really cool.  Like the delay Les Paul would have used on the Les and Mary show (if one had existed)  :)