News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My Sonic Screwdriver

Started by aballen, May 03, 2013, 01:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I was really intimidated, but I liked the challenge as well, so I figured why not take a shot at it.  This is my first SMT project, and right now I'm just bouncing off the walls cause it worked, the first time I fired it up.  It is a damn versatile pedal too.

I took my time and tried to be methodical.  No where near as clean as the masters work, but I'm still satisfied.

First I did the resistors, they were the smallest components, so I figured if I could do these, the rest would work out.

Then the capacitors

and the rest, here is a pic to give you some scale.

I made some little pot mounts from strip board, like in Brians build doc, very handy.

I really took my time drilling, one hole at a time, eventually I got it wired up, and put in that one last tranny.

I have to decide on which knobs I will use on the sides, big ones or small ones?  Right now I'm leaning towards the smalls.

I have to get it labeled, but it all fits nice... I have a lot of boxes in need of graphics right now.

Thanks Dave for the inspiration and the great board.

pickdropper

Hey, great job.  SMT is a different style of build, but it isn't as bad as some people fear and it gets easier as you do it.

As far as the box goes, I prefer smaller knobs on the side (although the big knobs have a Princess Leia vibe to them).

For the side knobs, I always use the small MXR style knobs.  They still stick out too far, so I do two things:

1) take a 1/4 drill bit and drill out the knob a bit.  I don't go through the top if the knob, I just take out the cross-brace on top that prevents the knob from going lower.  I twist the bit with my fingers.  No power needed.

2) I also file down the pot shafts.  I've tried cutting them down on a mill and grinding them down on a grinding wheel, but I've had better success just grabbing a metal file and working them down.  It is a pain, though.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

aballen

Thanks for the tip Dave.  I bought two small mxr style knobs, no skirt.  I thought they looked just like yours but I had the problem you are describing.  I'll try the technique you described to see if I can get the smaller knobs on.

There is a surprising amount of room in the 1590A when your board is smt and you use the tiny ribbon cables.  I'll bet I could fit 8 pots in there with an smt board.

Definitely have me interested in more smt stuff.

jimilee

Wow,those resistors are so tiny. I had to squint to see them on the screen. I like the little knobs too. Big ones are kind of unique,but not practical on a pedal board,they'd just get in the way.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on May 03, 2013, 07:46:29 PM
Thanks for the tip Dave.  I bought two small mxr style knobs, no skirt.  I thought they looked just like yours but I had the problem you are describing.  I'll try the technique you described to see if I can get the smaller knobs on.

There is a surprising amount of room in the 1590A when your board is smt and you use the tiny ribbon cables.  I'll bet I could fit 8 pots in there with an smt board.

Definitely have me interested in more smt stuff.

Yeah, you could fit 8 knobs in there, although there is a bit less room on the left side due to the the body of the output jack.
Function f(x)

midwayfair

Great work! You're a brave man. :)

That picture with the battery in it was a perfect reveal -- everything looks HUGE until that picture.

aballen

Thanks Jon, that means a lot coming from you, your one of the 1590A masters!  I've never even considered 0603 sized components before... I think next time I can do even better.

Quote from: midwayfair on May 03, 2013, 08:01:16 PM
Great work! You're a brave man. :)

That picture with the battery in it was a perfect reveal -- everything looks HUGE until that picture.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

DutchMF

You hero!!! It all looks so clean, like you've been doing that for ages.... Congrats dude, that is so f*^&k*n cool! Knob-wise, I prefer the big ones....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jubal81

Very, very slick. Great job!  :o
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

billstein

Does anybody know a good tutorial on smt?

DutchMF

There's a whole lot of good info right here on MB, but I forgot where....  :( Search, and you will find!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

billstein

Quote from: DutchMF on May 04, 2013, 12:07:25 PM
There's a whole lot of good info right here on MB, but I forgot where....  :( Search, and you will find!

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll do some more looking. I have found some tutorials but a lot of them seem to need specialized equipment. I was hoping to find a step-by-step tutorial geared more for folk like us.

aballen

I like the smaller knobs on the sides as well, the pedal kind of looked like it had some big dorky ears.  I was able to cut the pot shafts off with a dremel cutting wheel.  Pretty easy actually, I also bored out the knobs a little and switched to a red 3mm led, which I think looks nicer.  I'm pretty happy with the "form" now, just have to figure out graphics... really tiny graphics.

pickdropper

That looks good to me.  :-)
Function f(x)