News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Useful tools

Started by gtr2, January 13, 2011, 02:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

In case anyone is planning a purchase from Harbor Freight in the next few days, here is a printable *20% off a single item* coupon that expires on the 23rd (March).

COUPON

cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

This last weekend they had a parking lot sale with stuff up to 80% off!!! Total insanity!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

crash

Please, for your own safety, do not buy anything electrical or pneumatic from Harbor Freight.  Most of that type of equipment does not meet the various UL/ANSI safety standards.  That is why you do not see a UL, ETL, CSA logo on most of their equipment.

Screwdrivers and wrenches are fine to buy from there and that's about it.

Smeero

If you have .net on you puter, this Aximer software is very useful. Ignore the aerospace stuff that we don't need and focus on the Electronics tab.

http://www.mediafire.com/?82z8eaf7x4la3ml

it has a tool for electronic metric conversions of volts, amps, farads, ohms, etc. An electric circuit formula calculator. A  Resistor color code chart and a circuit solver.

Smeero

actual tools

The panavise circuit boad holder is sweet and not that pricey.

I use one of these drill press stands from milescraft

with one of these  (rtx is cheaper,stronger motor than dremel but can use all the dremel attachments)

and a step bit
to make holes.

junkemail86

I use this guy for easy holes in plastic or aluminum.  The largest punch can fit a pot or jack, but not the DC jacks or 3PDT's, so I finish it off with a drill.  I'm satisfied.  Main drawback is on metal enclosures, you have to use the screw-on bottom as the top plate in order to make holes for the pots and switch.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_16698_16698

bigmufffuzzwizz

That circuit board holder looks snazzy!! Where did you get that from?
I've been wanting to get a dremel tool for awhile but have waited cause I wanted to do some research first. Looking at the one you posted(B&D RTX-B?) seems like a good alternative and 10 bucks cheaper. The stand I'm questioning a little bit. It's also 10 bucks cheaper than the dremel version but the dremel version appears to be set-able at more angles and a little more versatile. Thanks for posting those though.

Just found the circuit board holder on amazon. They have 2 models one is $30 and the other $80. I'm guessing you got the $30 model?

Smeero

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 24, 2011, 07:14:22 PM
That circuit board holder looks snazzy!! Where did you get that from?
I've been wanting to get a dremel tool for awhile but have waited cause I wanted to do some research first. Looking at the one you posted(B&D RTX-B?) seems like a good alternative and 10 bucks cheaper. The stand I'm questioning a little bit. It's also 10 bucks cheaper than the dremel version but the dremel version appears to be set-able at more angles and a little more versatile. Thanks for posting those though.

Just found the circuit board holder on amazon. They have 2 models one is $30 and the other $80. I'm guessing you got the $30 model?

Be careful , you may be looking at one without the base.  (they sell em separate). I paid around $65. Which was worth it. Here's a used one you could screw into a bread board/cutting board:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PanaVise-Circuit-Board-Holding-Vise-Base-/290554165536?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D170627153272%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8712960671264207565

CRBMoA

I can't remember what I paid for my board holder. I think the clip was $0.50. The wood and the screws I had lying around.

jimmybjj

Quote from: CRBMoA on April 25, 2011, 11:07:32 PM
I can't remember what I paid for my board holder. I think the clip was $0.50. The wood and the screws I had lying around.

I have a panavise and helping hands (same concept as the picture above) I use the cheaper alligator clip type device more often. the twisting of the panavise requires more effort and time than the clips. Just my two cents.
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: CRBMoA on April 25, 2011, 11:07:32 PM

Now that's a genius idea for a setup!! Bravo

mattpoole

i am definitely stealing that idea!

gtr2

I'm more interested in the beauty in the back left.  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

CRBMoA

Quote from: gtr2 on April 26, 2011, 04:09:08 PM
I'm more interested in the beauty in the back left.  ;)

That was my Agile AL 2000 (paid for completely with builds - NO $$ out of the checking account!).

I later replaced the pups with some meatier Duncan Design HBs, and upgraded to a Schaller roller bridge. Took a little drill and dowel work to make the bridge happen, but I couldn't be happier!

jkokura

Love the mouse symbol on the pickguard Chris.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals