News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Noob Solder question

Started by PhiloB, May 17, 2013, 04:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I'm having a little issue with my soldering iron.  It's not heating evenly across the end.  It tried to go ahead and use it.  My question is, can the solder touch on adjacent components.  The top side looks fine.

gordo

Only if they are connected by traces (looks like those two are).  It looks like either your iron is running a tad cold or you're using Lead-Free solder, which requires a higher melt temperature.  I'd bet on the solder judging by the photo.  While you're being Eco-conscious, if that's the case, the regular leaded solder is much easier for hobbyist types like ourselves.

If you ARE using leaded rosin core solder then keep the iron on the parts a bit longer till the solder flows and levels itself and is shiny.

Hope that helps.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gtr2

You need to make sure that you are tinning your tip with the solder first.  That helps transfer the heat to the joint.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

PhiloB

Thanks.  I am tinning but it seems to be accumulating on one side.  Also, the solder melts quicker on one side vs the other (talking about the tip here).  As far as lead free, I'm not sure.  Bought the solder from wal-mart.  It didn't advertise as lead free so I assumed it wasn't.  I guess I need to use my desolder braid and remove the diodes and start again?

PhiloB

Does this look any better?

jolly1423

Use caution just buying 'random' solder. The first board I made I used stuff I had left over from soldering copper pipe and I think every joint was probably bad. It took me hours to finally figure out that was the problem. I started fresh with 60/40 lead/tin solder and it worked great. 60/40 works well for me and is available most places. I've looked at some of the irons at walmart and the one I saw did come with some 60/40, I don't know if that's what you've got there. As far as the iron not taking solder on one side, try using a wet sponge to wipe the tip on. It helps keep it clean. I always have one when I solder and wipe the tip on it every few solders as well as dipping the tip right in the flux before tinning it with the solder.

PhiloB

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.  I'll make a trip to the shack and hope they have more options.

Stomptown

For my first build I used Walmart solder and iron and had a terrible time with it. If you can't afford an expensive iron, radio shacks 25 watt solder iron is much better as is their solder...

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on May 17, 2013, 10:00:09 PM
For my first build I used Walmart solder and iron and had a terrible time with it. If you can't afford an expensive iron, radio shacks 25 watt solder iron is much better as is their solder...
I've been using that Stahl iron that byoc has but I got mine at parts express. I had intended on getting a better one, but this one does a great job.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Great question. You want to make sure you're using lead/tin solder. This is rosin Solder and the perfect type for electronics. You do not want to use acid solder or plumbing solder.  If u are getting into electronics you should get an adjustable temp iron it's the shiznit.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

croquet hoop

Just in case, I thought I'd throw this in: http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

Soldering is not difficult, but there are some hard rules that are very easy to overlook when you begin.

PhiloB

Thanks folks.  I got some solder from my father in law's garage (retired electrician).  It has done the trick.  Looks like it was manufactured in the 70's:)

das234

One more thing to add... keep your tip clean.  I'm new to this too but I've found things go much easier if I clean the tip frequently, especially when it seems the solder is not melting like it should. Every time I cradle the iron, I wipe it on my brass scrubby.

davent

...and as soon as you finish wiping it clean, be sure to apply some fresh solder to the tip to protect it.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

RadioShack had some great rip cleanet/tinner that I love.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.