News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

No Name

Started by alanp, May 18, 2013, 06:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

Looking over the build docs for this. Way out of my league. That's a monstrous undertaking. I'll try something easier first, like a Univibe. ;D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

alanp

Quote from: electricstorm on May 20, 2013, 12:08:54 AM
Did you get a chance to play around with it today? Thoughts?

Gahhhh... I spent 6-7 hours on it on saturday (including metalwork), and didn't want to think about it that night. Sunday morning, church, afternoon I had to meet someone... I get back and my flatmate is in bed (meaning no loud stuff... no point if it's not loud!)

So I plan on playing with it for a few hours today :) gonna try out the FX loop.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

atreidesheir

So epic.  Good on you AlanP.  You are a superstar for getting flange on the first try.
Flanges are one thing I do not DIY.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

electricstorm

Great! Let me know how it sounds for you. If you are able, try the time out also ( Spcae(d) and Time Out use two amps for stereo). I don't have a second amp here so I haven't tried it out yet.

Let me know how the FX loop works out too!!

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

alanp

Got my man Ironbird13 to do some video for me. This is the second one, with the Lady muff running into it (plus expression pedal.) We tried stereo, sounds funky, especially since one amp was a 2204 JCM800 (80s marshall) and the other a 5E8A (50s Fender tweed.) The FX loop... oscillated with the Lady in it, and was a bit muddy with the Dub Dweller (but then that's a dark, lo-fi delay.)

A clean clip is uploading now... should be good in a couple hours.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Clean flange, no expression, no loop, nothing before or after (IIRC, the reverb might get turned on.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

LaceSensor

The sounds you are getting are largely accurate to my original unit. Kudos.
Ill probably make one of these at some point, ive done all the others bar the Wobulator...

electricstorm

AlanP, the mono/stereo switch could have been subbed with a short bat toggle instead of the slide switch. That is most likely what I will go with. But I am curious, how did you do the rectangular hole for the slide switch?

The videos were great! Thanks for posting them.

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

alanp

Drilled out as much as I could with a small bit, then knocked it out with a hammer and a bolt, then filed it smooth. I didn't want to do a bat toggle, because what will happen if your foot lands on it?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

After playing with it some more...

Every single Lovetone design I've tried has been insanely flexible (Doppelganger, Ring Stinger, and Flange.)

I highly recommend buying an expression pedal to use with the Flange, BTW -- it seems to open up even more sounds that we couldn't get otherwise, like the steel pipe thing. (The expression on the Stinger just increased the insanity, a LOT.)

I'm not sure about the FX loop, though -- Lace, Jim, are you guys finding that even when it's off, (and the pedal in the loop is on), having something connected affects the non-Loopage tone? The oscillation we got with the Lady hooked up to it was fun, though  ;D
- Terry Pratchett
My website

LaceSensor

The only thing I ever tried in the flange loop was a delay, and it certainly analog-ises it as described.
I could check I spose whether I got any nasties in the main sound but I dont recall that...

electricstorm

I didn't have any problems either with signals in the FX loop when the FX loop was off.

I have two expression pedals here and I built a couple of the light jacks as well. That was pretty cool to play around with. If you like, I'll dig out my notes later and let you know what I did to make it or maybe build some and sell them (cheaper than what they sold for a while back. I think someone sold them for $50, way too expensive).

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

LaceSensor

Quote from: electricstorm on May 21, 2013, 09:46:01 AM
I didn't have any problems either with signals in the FX loop when the FX loop was off.

I have two expression pedals here and I built a couple of the light jacks as well. That was pretty cool to play around with. If you like, I'll dig out my notes later and let you know what I did to make it or maybe build some and sell them (cheaper than what they sold for a while back. I think someone sold them for $50, way too expensive).

Jim

You can build the light jacks for literally a dollar or less

Standard T/R/S jack, solder an LDR across the T and S
PLug it in, wave hand over, have fun ;)

muddyfox

What resistance LDR are we talking here, Lace?

LaceSensor

10k light 1M dark would be a starting point IIRC

whatever the Tayda cheapo generics are work just fine.

hth