News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tremolo / Phaser

Started by pandadandan, May 10, 2010, 06:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandadandan

madbean

I'm working on a version of the Demeter Tremulator...actually it's built and waiting for a debug.

No phaser yet, but that is certainly under consideration. Were you thinking a Phase 45/90 or something else?

pandadandan

Quote from: madbean on May 10, 2010, 08:16:28 AM
I'm working on a version of the Demeter Tremulator...actually it's built and waiting for a debug.

No phaser yet, but that is certainly under consideration. Were you thinking a Phase 45/90 or something else?

I'm all about the raft of a million controls kind of deal.  The Tremulator sounds lovely from what I've heard of it.
With phasers, I guess the phase 45/90 thing is okay, but I'd loooove the maestro stage phasers  ;) ;) ;) ;)

madbean

Right on. Thanks for the suggestion on the Maestro. I do want to add a good phaser, but I've only built the 45, personally. Or, maybe I'll just design one.  ;)

pandadandan

Quote from: madbean on May 12, 2010, 02:00:02 AM
Right on. Thanks for the suggestion on the Maestro. I do want to add a good phaser, but I've only built the 45, personally. Or, maybe I'll just design one.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVGqDBGCHY
Check out the "Fleetwood Mac" sound from 2:00 onwards.  LUSHHHH.

Haberdasher

Quote from: pandadandan on May 12, 2010, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: madbean on May 12, 2010, 02:00:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVGqDBGCHY
Check out the "Fleetwood Mac" sound from 2:00 onwards.  LUSHHHH.

Holy carp, I've never seen that Maestro pedal before.  That is bad-to-the-bone!  :o
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

slash555

maestro definitely!

and some kind of Tremulus lune with lots of mods would be fun. i have one for 3 years and its one of my favorite builds

madbean

Maestro, it is. I'll think about how to implement the rotary knob into a more compact enclosure. Thanks for the suggestion!

jimmybjj

Quote from: madbean on May 13, 2010, 10:03:23 AM
Maestro, it is. I'll think about how to implement the rotary knob into a more compact enclosure. Thanks for the suggestion!

I want one!  ;D
Pcbs no longer available

43jimfear

maysink

I know you've been busy of late but you got a progress report on a phaser board, Brian?
[nothing to see here]
-e

hoyager

+50 for the phaser ! with a really slow minimum setting on the rate. And if it sounded anything like the Mutron Bi-phase or Phasor II...

here's something potentially interesting I just found

"The Mu-Tron Phasor used transconductance op-amps for the variable element at a time when most people were using FETs.

We were aware of most of the effects that were around, but the phase shifter that we were going after was Maestro's PS- I. MXR also came out with the Phase 90 while we were designing the Phasor, but we gave ours two more stages. Then in '74 came the Mu-Tron Bi-Phase, which was actually Newmans idea. We made it with photo mods because we wanted a really wide dynamic range. Though the technology was semi-obsolete-even at that time-the photo mod helped give the Phasor its own sound because photo resistors don't track each other exactly and each has its own particular time constant and subtle form of non-linearity. We even had a special photo mod custom made for us with six photocells in it.

At first the Bi-Phase prototypes sounded too clean, and we didn't know what to do about it. All the FET-based phasers had a non-linearity to them. In audio terms ours was too good, but in musical terms it wasn't good enough. I decided to put a feedback control around the phase-shift loop so that instead of distorting the signal it emphasized the peaks where the phase shifter didn't cancel the signal. This made the sound more interesting without distorting. Our Bi-Phase was the first phaser with a feedback pot, though Electro-Harmonix got a phase shifter to market before us with a feedback switch.

After the Bi-Phase we made the Phaser II, which was one-half of a Bi-Phase with only an oscillator sweep control. That was probably our most-popular product."

B_of_H

a tap tempo controlled trem/phase45 would be really cool.

jkokura

There are tap tempo trems now available, if you'd like I can PM you with more details. Also, the new Taptation circuit can be found at DIYStompboxes and probably can be integrated into a Phaser.

I'm going to be honest though - I really find tap tempo useful with delay and tremolo, I don't see that a phaser would have as much use for tap tempo. It's such a more subtle effect, whereas a flanger as an example, is so much more obvious so to include tap tempo seems more effective. I think having tap tempo phase is kind of like having tap tempo attached to a chorus pedal - not really necessary. Especially because with a Phase 45/90, you can use one of those big knobs, or the rubber covers from dunlop that allow foot control.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

B_of_H

Quote from: jkokura on September 24, 2010, 12:29:41 PM
There are tap tempo trems now available, if you'd like I can PM you with more details. Also, the new Taptation circuit can be found at DIYStompboxes and probably can be integrated into a Phaser.

I'm going to be honest though - I really find tap tempo useful with delay and tremolo, I don't see that a phaser would have as much use for tap tempo. It's such a more subtle effect, whereas a flanger as an example, is so much more obvious so to include tap tempo seems more effective. I think having tap tempo phase is kind of like having tap tempo attached to a chorus pedal - not really necessary. Especially because with a Phase 45/90, you can use one of those big knobs, or the rubber covers from dunlop that allow foot control.

Jacob

yeah I agree but i just built a phase 45 and tremulus lune into a single enclosure and if i get them synched up right it does cool leslie thing.  the amplitude modulation seems to make the swirls more realistic sounding to me but I've just messed around with this a few times.  I need to look into the taptation for sure but so far the info in that thread is a little tough for me to follow.