News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy -- every problem imaginable

Started by midwayfair, May 23, 2013, 03:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

Jon is it possible your trimmers are binding?  It looks like you had to bend the legs in to mount them.  I would check each one to be sure.

midwayfair

Quote from: aballen on May 30, 2013, 07:11:12 PM
Jon is it possible your trimmers are binding?  It looks like you had to bend the legs in to mount them.  I would check each one to be sure.

Nope, they're working, but the clock is clearly not working properly.

I bend just the wiper leg -- that's the one with the big screw part in the middle, so that it if something DOES touch the body of the trim, the leg will just touch itself.

aballen

Just did a stare and compare, I found some issues but it looks like you removed the diodes and took care of the jumpers.

Not sure but it looks like R58 is a bit tight around the +/- joints.

hopefully the new compander takes care of your problem.

aballen

midwayfair

I *STILL* can't get the LFO working. I've verified every part multiple times and tested continuity to every other pad on the board. It just won't oscillate. It kills LEDs, too. It's blown two of them now. I'm completely mystified as I've never had an issue with this LFO (this is like the fourth delay with it I've built!).

At this point, I don't even care about the rest of the pedal. I just want to know why the LFO won't work. I even tried running it on 9v to see if for some reason the 15V was the problem.

RobA

I can't tell for sure from the image, but is the LFO IC a TL052? If so, the 052 is more prone to latching up than others in the same family. 
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Quote from: RobA on July 03, 2013, 04:23:09 AM
I can't tell for sure from the image, but is the LFO IC a TL052? If so, the 052 is more prone to latching up than others in the same family. 

It's a 62. I've also tried a 72, 4558, 5532, etc. All of them should work just fine ... They do in every other pedal I've made with this LFO.

aballen

It's not likely, but there is always the possibility the board has a short.

It's. really a great delay, might be worth getting a new board and re-using the active components.

RobA

Quote from: midwayfair on July 03, 2013, 11:42:26 AM
Quote from: RobA on July 03, 2013, 04:23:09 AM

It's a 62. I've also tried a 72, 4558, 5532, etc. All of them should work just fine ... They do in every other pedal I've made with this LFO.

Yeah, they should all work, but I was wondering because the voltage readings on that IC look like it may be latched high. If you have a TS922 or can get one easily, you might want to try it. They can go rail-to-rail on both the input and the output in a single supply setting and never latch up. The other one that might help figure it out is the LM358 (if you haven't tried it already). They don't have the upper voltage output, but they won't latch when going to the negative rail and in several LFO's I've played with, when the op amp latches up from hitting the negative rail, it flips high and sticks.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).