News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GuitarPCB Zenith Drive

Started by wstimson, May 23, 2013, 11:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wstimson

Well, I haven't really posted any of my stuff before because it's all pretty straightforward and not nearly as impressive as a lot of the stuff you guys are doing with lasers and doing your own circuits and layouts and all that.  But I decided I should start posting stuff anyway.  Mostly as a motivator for myself to do better.  If I know other people are going to see it, maybe I'll not be so lazy about it.  :)

Anyway, this is a ZenDrive clone(sorta) built on GuitarPCB's Zenith Drive board.  I honestly had more trouble with this than I'd like to admit.  But, it turns out I had downloaded the docs right after Barry started doing fabbed boards and must have gotten an early revision or something, because mine had the tone pot at 10k instead of 50k and C3 at 470n instead of 100pF.  Those things made a pretty big difference.

As for the decoration... I'm a total nerd.  That's a cover to a Thor comic from the 80s (Issue 337 I think).
Anyway, the singer/pianist/guitarist in my band is also a fan and we have a long running debate/joke about whether his head is based on a horse or a goat.

The decal is just full sheet white avery label. Works fine provided you don't go over the edges (which I did). And you don't mind a white background.  (Which I don't).  Had to trim off the top of the label with an exacto knife because it went just over the rounded part of the top and wouldn't stay down to put on the clear coat.  Probably should've pulled it off and made a new one... but like I said, lazy.  :)  Also ready to finally be done with this one.  I have three more boards already finished, tested, working, and ready to be boxed.

So yeah, there it is.  :)

Pics:

lincolnic

That is an excellent inscription on the backplate. The rest of the pedal isn't too shabby, either!

gingataff

Nice man, cool art though not my favourite Thor  ;)

I want to build a zen clone at some point. Got any clips?

wstimson

Quote from: gingataff on May 24, 2013, 06:20:41 AM
Nice man, cool art though not my favourite Thor  ;)

I want to build a zen clone at some point. Got any clips?

Thanks. 

I don't have any clips at the moment.  Sounds great though.  Just got it down to the practice space with my rig last night and I think this'll be my new go-to overdrive for a while.  It's got a good, well rounded tone and cleans up great with the guitar volume, even at higher gain settings.

Barry has a couple clips up on his page though: http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3496072

juansolo

There are not enough pedals with Thor on  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

wstimson