News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Taming the Volume - Aristocrat

Started by JammyDodger, January 18, 2011, 11:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JammyDodger

Hey All,

Just completed the Aristocrat V4.  Works great, sounds great no issues there.  My question is.... how can I tame the volume control.  For example, if the range of the control is from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock, by the time it reaches 9 it is at unity volume compared to bypassed.  It has an incredible amount of volume which I just don't need.  I would like 12 o'clock to be my even point with lower being a cut and above being gain.  Is there a way to do this?

I think I'll post this in the Mods section as well.

As always... thanks for everyone's help, this is a great forum.

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger

jkokura

Hmm. I find unity to be about 2 or 3 o'clock on mine. Can you tell us more about your build and te parts you used?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

My unity gain is around 3 o'clock too.  Sometimes I've got it maxed too get a small boost!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JammyDodger

Well, for one thing I have the pots wired backwards (terminals 1 and 3 are swapped). I guess that could cause the volume to jump early in the rotation... or very late in the rotation for yours.  But regardless, how do you get the unity volume more towards 12 o'clock?

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger

jkokura

The immediate suggestion I have is changing the 100kA pot that's currently used for volume to a 100kC pot. This would make the travel of the pot louder quicker. It may not give you unity at 12 O'clock, it might be 11 or even 10, but it would bring it closer to the front.

Using a 100kB pot would accomplish something similar, perhaps bringing it to more of a 1 O'clock range.

That's the first and easiest method I think. Changing part values gets to be a little harder but it may produce results. I would suggest perhaps using socketing R10 and trying a 10k and a 4.7k resistor and see which produces a good change in the volume, but only if changing the pot taper doesn't make it work the way you want.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals