News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombii & Distortion +

Started by angrykoko, May 25, 2013, 08:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

Thought I'd show off my Zombii build.
This was the second pedal I ever built, I just went through it again and tried cleaning up the wiring (it was a rats nest).  Got the board back then from Harberdasher.

The new wiring reminds me of something but I haven't placed it yet...

And here is my Distortion +
Waaaay back in say 1981 ish, my cousin cloned this pedal for me (because I was 14 and zero $) and my dad gave him 25.00.  I remember it fondly because I was the only kid with one and the other guitar player I knew was very jealous and tried to steal it. 
Well I won a holiday PIF that included a "plus distortion" fabbed pcb and I was really excited to do this build but... in my excitement, I soldered both pots on backwards!  I totally destroyed the board trying to get them off.  Not be denied my memory, I etched up a tonepad board and viola!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

das234

Nice builds.  I want to try etching that distortion plus board for my first home-etched pcb, but I'm not having any luck sizing it correctly on the tonepad doc.  The madbean docs allow me to copy and paste just the image but the tonepad one does not.  Any hints?

gingataff

Very very clean. Nice work.

How did you do the graphics?

angrykoko

Quote from: das234 on June 11, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
Nice builds.  I want to try etching that distortion plus board for my first home-etched pcb, but I'm not having any luck sizing it correctly on the tonepad doc.  The madbean docs allow me to copy and paste just the image but the tonepad one does not.  Any hints?

Sorry for the delay... jury duty  :(

I use photo resistive pcb material, cant comment on if this would work with iron on stuff.

For the tonepad layouts I print the whole page on plain paper with no scaling, full size.
Then I take my overhead transparancy film and cut a square out of it about an inch bigger than the layout.
Then just tape the transparency film over the layout you printed on the plain paper and run it through the printer again (centering the layout in the film as you tape it down).
Viola!

I can provide some pictures of the process if you want.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

angrykoko

Quote from: gingataff on June 11, 2013, 10:15:31 AM
Very very clean. Nice work.

How did you do the graphics?

Thank you!

The Zombii graphics are waterslide film, used open office to do it, lots of trial and error and printing to get the labels in the right spot.

The Distortion plus is stick on vinyl, I use my wife's silhouette machine to cut out the letters and any graphics.

das234

Quote from: angrykoko on June 12, 2013, 05:09:50 AM
I use photo resistive pcb material, cant comment on if this would work with iron on stuff.

For the tonepad layouts I print the whole page on plain paper with no scaling, full size.
Then I take my overhead transparancy film and cut a square out of it about an inch bigger than the layout.
Then just tape the transparency film over the layout you printed on the plain paper and run it through the printer again (centering the layout in the film as you tape it down).
Viola!

I can provide some pictures of the process if you want.

I would be interested to see them if you can. 

angrykoko

Sure no problem, I'll do it when I get home tonight.

In the meantime... you can read this: https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/PhotoPCBoards/PhotoPCBoards.htm

That's where I got all my ideas on how to do this.

The one thing I dont do from his tutorial anymore is the score and snap approach to cutting the pcb material.  For the longest time I had this issue where along an outer edge the traces would be very light after developing (and if I etched it had this weird pitted texture).  That has all gone away as I now cut the material with a saw or dremmel.  the strain in snapping must have been messing with the resistant.