News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It's freaking freezing right now.

Started by alanp, May 28, 2013, 10:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

2 degrees overnight low, it's windy as hell (if hell were frozen over), and I'm pretty sure that Cdog has been snowed in at least once this week.

This always happens in June. Christmas is barbeque weather, otoh.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on May 28, 2013, 10:51:55 AM
2 degrees overnight low, it's windy as hell (if hell were frozen over), and I'm pretty sure that Cdog has been snowed in at least once this week.

Stay warm good sir!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

Quote from: alanp on May 28, 2013, 10:51:55 AM

Two degress? Celcius? Really? That's cold to you?

(Says the Canadian who lived through a couple weeks of -40 (C or F, same diff) this past winter)

I guess if it never gets that cold normally it would feel bad, but we have an annual swing of 80 degress celcius here, where are lows are at about -45 and our highs are about +35.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

selfdestroyer

You don't know how jealous I am right now.. Here in Fresno CA its going to be in the 100's this saturday.. so it begins, This is when the central valley fall into the earth closer to hell!

GermanCdn

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Jacob on this one.  When I was in university, there was a stretch of three weeks where the temperature didn't go above -38C.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Dude, that's cold. When I was in Fort St John, there was one week where the temp didn't go over -45C during the day. At night it dipped to -65 a few times.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

billstein

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 28, 2013, 12:02:14 PM
You don't know how jealous I am right now.. Here in Fresno CA its going to be in the 100's this saturday.. so it begins, This is when the central valley fall into the earth closer to hell!

Right on! I actually miss the weather from when we lived in England. It's way to hot in the summer here in California and I'm talked OC weather not Fresno weather. We're going to be in the 90's on Saturday and that's just way to hot!

the3secondrule

The singer in my band is Canadian, (from Winnipeg), and he reckons the NZ winters are more unpleasant  than back home due to three things:
Draughty, under-insulated homes
No central heating ( not very common over here anyway)
And, relatively expensive gas/electricity.

Still, it's a good excuse for hearty winter foods, stout, scotch, and cosying up under blankets with your loved one  ;)

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on May 28, 2013, 01:26:48 PM
Dude, that's cold. When I was in Fort St John, there was one week where the temp didn't go over -45C during the day. At night it dipped to -65 a few times.

Jacob

I was doing an installation up at Diavik Diamond mines in the NWT, the high for a couple of the days was -65.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

I whine when it gets to be 70 here inside or outside! I'm such a girly man sometimes.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

Quote from: the3secondrule on May 28, 2013, 02:04:03 PM
The singer in my band is Canadian, (from Winnipeg), and he reckons the NZ winters are more unpleasant  than back home due to three things:
Draughty, under-insulated homes
No central heating ( not very common over here anyway)
And, relatively expensive gas/electricity.

Still, it's a good excuse for hearty winter foods, stout, scotch, and cosying up under blankets with your loved one  ;)

J
Given that I lived in Winnipeg for 25 years, it can't be worse.  However, I'll agree with you on the insulation thing, a properly insulated house makes all the difference.  A buddy of mine from Brisbane was here for a couple of years, adn was amazed at how not cold it was inside when it was 30 below outside.

DutchMF

When I hear you guys about the weather where you live, I feel a bit ashamed to complain about the dutch weather.... We've had 2 good days so far this year (today and yesterday...), was able to cycle back home from work without my jacket on! Last saturday though, I went out for some drinks and a game of pool with a friend (22 yo female, damn I feel old!!) and was soaked with rain right up to my bones when I got home at 2 in the morning.... Thats one good thing about really cold weather, it doesn't rain, it snows!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

Point of order: freezing is zero degrees, not two. If you want to use 2° to describe 'freezing,' you'll have to rejoin the U.S. in the dark ages. :D

GrindCustoms

Here's a little relief for you guys....

At the moment, my day job is driving this truck:

And that box is maintained at minus 20 celcius! ;D

I rep and deliver Nestlé ice cream product....so yeah....it's 20 celcius and up outside and then i jump in there, put my hat and mits and hell yeah!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jkokura on May 28, 2013, 01:26:48 PM

Jacob

I share that with you Jacob, when i was working at the north of Baker Lake - Nunavut....-65C in day time was common....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/