Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It's freaking freezing right now.

Started by alanp, May 28, 2013, 10:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 28, 2013, 02:15:19 PM
Quote from: jkokura on May 28, 2013, 01:26:48 PM
Dude, that's cold. When I was in Fort St John, there was one week where the temp didn't go over -45C during the day. At night it dipped to -65 a few times.

Jacob

I was doing an installation up at Diavik Diamond mines in the NWT, the high for a couple of the days was -65.

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 28, 2013, 02:41:30 PM
Quote from: jkokura on May 28, 2013, 01:26:48 PM
Dude, that's cold. When I was in Fort St John, there was one week where the temp didn't go over -45C during the day. At night it dipped to -65 a few times.

Jacob

I share that with you Jacob, when i was working at the north of Baker Lake - Nunavut....-65C in day time was common....

You guys win.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Stomptown

Never have I felt so privileged to live in rainy ass Portland, Oregon!!! The rain does get old, but it is never that cold! I work on remote weather stations in the Mountains all over Washington and Oregon and what I deal with in the winter is nothing compared to what you guys are dealing with in the north! Mucho respecto guys!!!

alanp

Quote from: the3secondrule on May 28, 2013, 02:04:03 PM
Draughty, under-insulated homes

Yeah, NZ is chronic for that.

I read somewhere that when the first Brits arrived, they were all "You mean if we don't insulate the house, we WON'T die in our sleep despite lots of blankets? May as well not bother then!", and it's persisted ever since.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

It has been cold, only a bit of snow here but it's still Autumn officially.  -65 C is insane! 
Never experienced cold like that, I assume that's combined with windchill.  I went to Antarctica once, you could splash a cup of boiling water in the air and it would freeze before it hit the ground!

midwayfair

Quote from: nzCdog on May 28, 2013, 10:26:00 PM
I went to Antarctica once, you could splash a cup of boiling water in the air and it would freeze before it hit the ground!

You realize that you can't post something like this without telling more of the story. What were you doing in Antarctica?

Bret608

Yes, do tell about Antarctica!

My family and I are going to Iceland for vacation in a couple of weeks. We've wanted to go for years, but given the way winter dragged on through spring here in Wisconsin, it's just funny how the timing has worked out. I mean, we've had a few days into the 80s here, but for the most part, anytime we've checked the weather in Reykjavik, it's been about the same as here (50s farenheit and rainy).

DutchMF

Quote from: Bret608 on May 29, 2013, 06:36:53 AM
Yes, do tell about Antarctica!

My family and I are going to Iceland for vacation in a couple of weeks. We've wanted to go for years, but given the way winter dragged on through spring here in Wisconsin, it's just funny how the timing has worked out. I mean, we've had a few days into the 80s here, but for the most part, anytime we've checked the weather in Reykjavik, it's been about the same as here (50s farenheit and rainy).

Oh man, you will enjoy! I cycled the Nr 1 highway around the entire island about 8 years ago, such a beautiful country! Weather can be sunny and hot one day, and below freezing the next. Completely changes around real fast, sometimes changing a season (well, at least in feel) within the hour.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GrindCustoms

At -40Celcius boiling water will freeze before it hits the ground, tap water won't....

You don't want to pee outside at -65...because it will freeze up your tip! Hahahaha!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Bret608

Quote from: DutchMF on May 29, 2013, 09:43:54 AM

Oh man, you will enjoy! I cycled the Nr 1 highway around the entire island about 8 years ago, such a beautiful country! Weather can be sunny and hot one day, and below freezing the next. Completely changes around real fast, sometimes changing a season (well, at least in feel) within the hour.....

Paul

Wow, you cycled it? That sounds really cool! We are excited for sure. We're just doing some bus tours and drives out Reykjavik (much easier with children!), but I'd love to go back at some point to do the whole Ring Road/Hwy 1 route. As far as the weather goes, we're used to layering clothes in order to be ready for rapid changes.

I'm from the deep South originally, but my impression of the cold up north is that it's more bearable in some ways as it's a dry cold. Give me 15 degrees F in Wisconsin any day over 35 degrees and rainy somewhere else.

nzCdog

Quote from: midwayfair on May 29, 2013, 06:01:32 AM
You realize that you can't post something like this without telling more of the story. What were you doing in Antarctica?
Basically this, if you're interested :)

I used to be a tv cameraman/editor, the reporter and I went down for this story. We were there a week or so at the end of the Antarctic Summer, staying at Scott Base on Ross Island.  An amazing place I will NEVER forget.  The sights, the sounds... incredibly beautiful, I saw emperor penguins and seals up close in the wild, the skies were mesmerising, the people were great. We got stranded on the ice a few extra days due to the weather changing, so that meant extra sightseeing opportunities! ;D I managed to witness the first sunset of the year too!  *Sigh* Great memories.

Unfortunately, only 20 hours after I flew back home there were those tremendous earthquakes in our city Christchurch and basically life as I knew it changed forever, a couple hundred people died, half the city including our neighbourhood was totally f*cked and still is... yea... anyway.  Antarctica is a really precious memory to me :)

davent

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 28, 2013, 02:18:51 PM
Quote from: the3secondrule on May 28, 2013, 02:04:03 PM
The singer in my band is Canadian, (from Winnipeg), and he reckons the NZ winters are more unpleasant  than back home due to three things:
Draughty, under-insulated homes
No central heating ( not very common over here anyway)
And, relatively expensive gas/electricity.

Still, it's a good excuse for hearty winter foods, stout, scotch, and cosying up under blankets with your loved one  ;)

J
Given that I lived in Winnipeg for 25 years, it can't be worse.  However, I'll agree with you on the insulation thing, a properly insulated house makes all the difference.  A buddy of mine from Brisbane was here for a couple of years, adn was amazed at how not cold it was inside when it was 30 below outside.

Puzzler to me? In the winter the thermostat for our house is set at 18-19°c (during the day) which means wearing pants, sweater sometimes throwing a fleece jacket on if i want to feel hot while sitting around (and way more then i wear when out shovelling the snow.) It's starting to finally get warm outside but the house is still maintaining the same temperature, now shorts and a t-shirt are more then adequate to stay comfortable inside. What gives, why is 18°c in the winter feel so much colder then a summer 18°c ?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

TNblueshawk

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 29, 2013, 01:02:52 PM
At -40Celcius boiling water will freeze before it hits the ground, tap water won't....

You don't want to pee outside at -65...because it will freeze up your tip! Hahahaha!

How would you know  ;D
John

atreidesheir

I was explaining this to my 4 y/o.  He theorizes you could pee outside and, if you walk backwards, the freezing will never catch you. 
He thought about this a lot.  Peeing outside is one of his favorite things to do.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jkokura

Quote from: atreidesheir on May 30, 2013, 08:57:19 AM

I was explaining this to my 4 y/o.  He theorizes you could pee outside and, if you walk backwards, the freezing will never catch you. 
He thought about this a lot.  Peeing outside is one of his favorite things to do.

Like.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Quote from: Bret608 on May 29, 2013, 01:28:18 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on May 29, 2013, 09:43:54 AM

Paul

Wow, you cycled it? That sounds really cool! We are excited for sure. We're just doing some bus tours and drives out Reykjavik (much easier with children!), but I'd love to go back at some point to do the whole Ring Road/Hwy 1 route. As far as the weather goes, we're used to layering clothes in order to be ready for rapid changes.

I'm from the deep South originally, but my impression of the cold up north is that it's more bearable in some ways as it's a dry cold. Give me 15 degrees F in Wisconsin any day over 35 degrees and rainy somewhere else.

Yeah, it was a cool experience, especially as I did it with my mom! For real.... We did it in a little over 4 weeks, with a lot of severe weather, no bike breakdowns (!!) and a whole lot of good times. Love her, good memories...

Don't know if you heard of the British TV show Top Gear? They did the entire Hwy 1 as well, with some sports cars. In a day......

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"