News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2017 Build Roundup

Started by Willybomb, December 06, 2017, 11:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Continuing the tradition, I thought I would post my build roundup for this year.  I have a few more builds in the process but I doubt I'll get around to them before the year is out. Interestingly, I finished a few I had planned for last year.  The YJM308 had no volume for whatever reason and didn't boxed, as did a few other boards, but by and large it was a good year.

Last year: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=24443.msg238353#msg238353

In rough chronological order:

- Phatboy, a bass DI including Brenja's Bass Driver PCB and a Bassballs on vero.  Bassballs distortion put on a footswitch.  I later replaced that dodgy washer on the switch with a bigger one to cover the hole.

- A pair of passive dual effect loops.  Just a couple of footswitches with send/return jacks.  I couldn't find any switching ones, so an unused loop needs a patch lead between the jacks in case you step on the switch and kill your signal.

- Funkasaurus.  After building the Bassballs into the Phatboy, I decided I needed one for myself.  A tight vero fit in a 125b.  Distortion again put on a footswitch.

- Circuit tester.  I got sick of soldering the in/out/9v/grounds to a vero piece every time, so I built a plastic jiffy box that can be powered off a power supply.  Made testing so much easier.

Willybomb

Continuing:

- Dark Lord: a Wampler Sovereign on vero.  Boost moved to a footswitch, relatively tight due to the dark/light switch placement.  Sounds fantastic on single coils, not too bad with regular humbuckers, but has a strange response with high output humbuckers.

- Direwolf: This was going to be a 7th Heaven with dual channels and boost but I decided I couldn't really gel with it or get the sound out of it I wanted, so I decided to put a JCM800 with high/low input selection on a footswitch.  Fairly noisy build in comparison.

- Red 5:  BSIABII on vero, with dual gain option.

- Ninja:  Crunchbox on vero with presence and dual gain.

- Leviathan:  My entry into the BOTY2017.  Treble booster, SHO, Zendrive, English Gent, Plexidrive.  Mix of vero and Tayda PCBs. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=26825.msg259883#msg259883

Willybomb

Part 3:

- Endgame:  Buffer, Bloviator, Ylart's Simple Cabsim, THC Line driver.  It goes from the buffer, gets split to a 1/4 out and the bloviator, which then goes to the cabsim and split to separate volumes for the 1/4 and XLR Line driver outs.  This is an update of my Terminus build after I found out there was something in that causing silly amounts of noise.  Seems to be a very solid build.

- Space Station:  Porkbarrel PCB, DBD (vero) with tap, Rubadub on vero.  Basically a revamp of Stealth (which I still have), minus the Smoothie (which I never use).

- Starfighter:  (Should have placed this earlier) Switchable between a stripped Fetto layout from Sabrotone and a BE-OD with dual gains.  Not sold on the BE-OD as a low gain drive, so Leviathan has replaced it on the grab and go board for now.

- Noisemaker:  Fairly random noise machine.  Long term project.

darrenw6000

Brilliant, what do you use to get your designs on the pedals?

Andlord

Noisemakers are great! got me a backup unit but not sure jet if this is gonna be a 2017 or 2018 build  ;D

Willybomb

Thanks.  I do my layouts in photoshops and get them printed at the local printshop on a waterproof laser sticker stock (it's called "data pole" or something similar).  The enclosures are done with a black etching primer, sticker applied, clear coat with spraymax 1k.

mjg

I like the graphics on the Red Five, I think that's my favourite. 

Yeah, the random noisemaker is great.  I've got one that is about 10 years old now.  It still makes random noises.  :)

juansolo

Deeply impressive.

The circuit tester box is something everyone should make. We actually managed to wear out the spring-clip terminals on ours and ended up swapping it for some connector strip as it gets so much use.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

dan.schumaker

Did you put a volume control on your random noisemaker?  I forgot on mine (both times).....

Andlord