News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Echo Base

Started by Haberdasher, September 25, 2011, 04:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 26, 2011, 01:40:28 AM
Awesome Keefe!! It looks so good inside and out! I've wanted to make one of these for so long but it was kinda daunting at first. Now it seems like it would go together like cake! There is really a minimal amount of wiring.

Yeah there are only a few wires so it looks really clean,  especially if you leave out the battery snap.

If you biuild one, just be sure to be meticulous laying out and testing your components beforehand.  You wouldn't want to be stuck trying to de-solder parts out of the middle of this board.  Tight layout!

Now that I've built it, I'm pretty confident I could have gotten it in a 125 with some careful measurement.  The 125 is wider sideways that the 1590bb so you could get the board all the way flush up to the top.

The hardest part is really just measuring, laying out  & drilling the holes for those pc mounted pots.

Quote from: mgwhit on September 26, 2011, 03:49:06 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on September 25, 2011, 11:36:45 PM
I'm using Pulsar "DecalProfx" (I think that's the name, don't have the package in front of me).  It is toner transfer, so not really a decal.

Thanks!  It looks fantastic, but it sounds like I'll be sticking with my new "no more dark enclosures" for some time.  Enjoy the pedal!

You know, I don't blame you.  I really don't.

Quote from: raulduke on September 26, 2011, 08:42:32 AM
Brilliant build Haberdasher.

I think I'll leave your decal method to you though; it sounds like a nightmare.

You must have the patience of a saint!

Thanks m8. A saint wouldn't curse like me when something goes wrong, though. ;)
In my case, I've already bought all this stuff, so I'm sure as **** using it, but I can't help thinking how easy a decal might be from time to time.

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 26, 2011, 08:56:02 AM
Sweet looking build there. Love my echobase too.

Now that I have mine working I really wish I had completed it earlier.
It sounds totally killer guitar->sunking->faultline->echobase->amp

Quote from: FuzzMonkey on September 26, 2011, 09:13:15 AM
Puts my wiring to shame!  :-[

Well, there isn't much wiring involved in the echobase.  Believe me my wiring skills aren't nearly as good as some other guys around here.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

LaceSensor

ID say with board mounted pots, the echo base is one of the easiest wiring jobs of a complex pedal. Even the footswitch is just two lugs as its buffered bypass.

Not to take away from the great work done here, but the EB is really a quite simple build. There is just a lot of components. Of course you can add a number of switchable options to spice things up and add more wires ;)

mjcyates

Great job! The echobase is a great sounding pedal.

Haberdasher

Quote from: mjcyates on September 26, 2011, 01:55:04 PM
Great job! The echobase is a great sounding pedal.

Thanks!  I'm digging it.

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 26, 2011, 01:21:22 PM
ID say with board mounted pots, the echo base is one of the easiest wiring jobs of a complex pedal. Even the footswitch is just two lugs as its buffered bypass.

Not to take away from the great work done here, but the EB is really a quite simple build. There is just a lot of components. Of course you can add a number of switchable options to spice things up and add more wires ;)

I agree.  This was one of the easiest pedals I've ever boxed up.  Drilling the enclosure was really the only part where I had to stop and think.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

EconMan

Nice build! I have an Echo Base pcb still waiting to be wired up. The Echo Base was the pedal that originally spawned my pedal building addiction then I stumbled upon this site and wire up a Sabertooth as my first build due to the wait on the Echo pcb. Now I'm a full blown addict.

nzCdog

Quote from: EconMan on September 27, 2011, 03:12:54 AM
Now I'm a full blown addict.

Muahaha!  It is all going according to plan!  ;)

jimmybjj

Okeef, was wondering if you could give us some feedback on the decals. I understand they take a little work to get right. My question is the process cumbersome enough to prevent you from buying supplies again when you run out. I guess a better question would be, if you had it to do over again would you buy the decal system?
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

I've still only used it about 4 times, so it's kind of hard to say.  And since I've never used the kinds of decals the rest of you guys use, it is even harder to say since I don't have anything else to compare it to. :D

Right now, I would say yes I would buy it again.  If you already have a suitable laminator and access to a laser printer then why not.  It's pretty neat & gives you a lot of options with the white text and different colors of laser foils.

If you want to try it you could just buy the paper, clear mylar film, some clear coat film, and white pigment foil.  That would let you do some laser color graphics, and the white foil would allow you to do white text.  I bought the special adhesive spray at JoAnns fabrics, but I have also seen it at hobby lobby.  For the carrier boards you can just use .031" copper clad boards, or even etch the copper off them first.  I'm pretty sure that would give you everything you need to get started.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

juansolo

Super tidy inside and out. Most impressive sir!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

I'm late on this build report, musta missed it  ???

VERY NICE!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

thank you much for the encouraging words, kind sirs.  8)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: