News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Echo Base

Started by Haberdasher, September 25, 2011, 09:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Wow, this is a great project.  I've had this pcb populated for months and just never got around to putting it all together.  Well, it was super easy and it sounds great!  HIGHLY recommended.

I'm ordering some aluminum knobs from sb, so these little cream davies clones are temporary.

The case is some kind of black sparkle job from PPP, I don't know what it's called and it really didn't photograph that well.  I made the letters holographic, which is very tricky to photograph.  Oh well, I tried.

I might go back and and the switch for LFO since it's actually sounds better than I thought it would.  For now I just have couple of pin headers soldered in so I can add or take away a standard jumper whenever I want.  Same for the tails, but I'll just leave those on all the time.

Anyway, here are th' guts.

I hope you enjoyed.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

stecykmi

very nice build. very clean.

jimmybjj

Very clean build, I like it. How did you do that lettering, I have been looking for a way to letter dark enclosures. Those black sparkle enclosure are just about impossible to take a picture (in my opinion) but are some of the best looking.

Really great build!!!
Pcbs no longer available

mgwhit

Yeah, I'd love to know how you did your label.  I wasted a LOT of time trying to get a color that would show up on a Laserjet waterslide for a purple sparkle enclosure.

Great looking build!

nzCdog

Dude! Wow that is a sick looking pedal! Very slick man, nice work

sgmezei

You have inspired me to get mine working. I boxed it BEFORE I rocked it and now have to debug. Super clean build man. I used too thick of wire for mine and it got to be too big for the enclosure haha.

Looks great. Love the black sparkle.

NF Audio

k.rock!

Fantastic job man! Super clean and beautiful job on the outside as well. I am too curious about the decals :) They look great!

-Kaleb

PS. Just noticed this was my 500th post. Hooray! haha
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

nzCdog

Quote from: k.rock! on September 25, 2011, 04:15:12 PM
PS. Just noticed this was my 500th post. Hooray! haha
Woot! Congrats man ;)

Haberdasher

Hey guys, thanks.!

I'm using Pulsar "DecalProfx" (I think that's the name, don't have the package in front of me).  It is toner transfer, so not really a decal.  You get different color foils with the starter kit (on this pedal you see the silver holographic one) and they can be made to adhere to the toner, then it transfers over to a plastic sheet after some manipulation.  Then it transfers again to the enclosure with the help of some spray adhesive.

There are definitely pros and cons to using this system.  It costs some money to get set up, and to be honest it's kind of difficult to use.  It requires a laminator, a heat gun and a laser printer and a lot of their proprietary material$.  The graphics are extremely delicate (think about how thin a layer of toner must be, and then realize there's no carrier like on a decal) so you have to take a LOT of care not to damage them.  I had to start over 3 x on this pedal.  The graphics are really not safe until you put some kid of clear on top.  But you can do things with it that are pretty neat too.  For example, the  kit comes with a white foil for white lettering, and you can also transfer some color graphics that look pretty good on dark backgrounds.  It is a great little idea, but like I said- tricky and at times pretty frustrating to use.

I would love to be able to silk screen, but I'm not there yet.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome Keefe!! It looks so good inside and out! I've wanted to make one of these for so long but it was kinda daunting at first. Now it seems like it would go together like cake! There is really a minimal amount of wiring.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

mgwhit

Quote from: Haberdasher on September 25, 2011, 04:36:45 PM
I'm using Pulsar "DecalProfx" (I think that's the name, don't have the package in front of me).  It is toner transfer, so not really a decal.

Thanks!  It looks fantastic, but it sounds like I'll be sticking with my new "no more dark enclosures" for some time.  Enjoy the pedal!

raulduke

Brilliant build Haberdasher.

I think I'll leave your decal method to you though; it sounds like a nightmare.

You must have the patience of a saint!

LaceSensor

Sweet looking build there. Love my echobase too.

FuzzMonkey

Puts my wiring to shame!  :-[