News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Police Flanger (Current Lover) // Boost-E (Bacon Bits)

Started by eldanko, January 07, 2013, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

FINALLY.

The first Current Lover I built never worked.  Despite some excellent help in the Tech forum (thanks Scruffie, Bean, everyone else), I never figured out what was wrong with it (LITERALLY a ghost in the machine...) and it has sat on my shelf for almost a year now.... taunting me.  So... when my second attempt at this circuit fired up on the first try, I was pretty elated.

This is running an MN3007 at 15V using an ICL7660SCPA charge pump.  I had originally used an LT1054, as I thought this thing might benefit from the extra mA output, but it was causing a little bit of whine in the sweep.  Took awhile to bias it up to a good compromise between noise and depth, but I think I've found the sweet spot.  I'm a huge Andy Summers fan (if the artwork didn't give that away already), so I'm pretty stoked to have a proper Mistress on the board now.

This was also my first try at a matte finish.  Doesn't seem to protect as well, but looks pretty great in person.

My other build this week was for a friend who wanted a pedal like my Boost-E (seen here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2428.0) but in a 1590A.  The Bacon Bits is a lovely sounding boost.  I like that it starts at unity gain and boosts from there.  This one's got an OPA2604 in it, which is giving me plenty of headroom.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

DutchMF

Very cool stuff Dane!

I love the artwork on the Electric Mistress. Must build myself an MN3007 version, as the MN3207 didn't get me the sound of the reissue I have on my board right now (though the MN3207 Porkbarrel sounds mighty rightious, go figure!). And props for the very tidy wiring/guts on the Bacon Bits!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

raulduke

Awesome builds.

I thought the photo for the Boost-E was squashed untill I realised you had used a mini-chickenhead.

I think the Xmas wine may have frazzled too many of my brain cells  :D!

midwayfair

alanp

The flanger's graphics immediately make me think 'Wargames' (the movie from the 80s.) The toggle switch is a nice touch.

Is that a 125B? I think this is the first time I've seen a Roadrage placed there...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Both great builds, but I have to say that the Police themed graphics are freaking wonderful.  That is a build I'd be thrilled to have on my pedal board.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

hey dane, where did you get that black paddle toggle switch on the current lover?  me wantie.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

angrykoko

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

eldanko

Quote from: juansolo on January 07, 2013, 04:34:59 PM
WALL-E always for the win.

The most underrated Disney/Pixar flick, IMHO.  I watch it at least once a year.  I have graphics for both Eve and Mo that will show up on pedals sooner or later :)

Quote from: raulduke on January 07, 2013, 05:32:03 PM
I think the Xmas wine may have frazzled too many of my brain cells  :D!

I solder much better after wine for some reason.  Have to go back and double check my part values later though!

Quote from: alanp on January 08, 2013, 04:03:17 AM
Is that a 125B? I think this is the first time I've seen a Roadrage placed there...

Yep!  I ended up playing with the placement of the RR a bit more to minimize noise, then used double sided tape to hold in place.  Fits just fine as long as you use the stubbier electrolytics.

Quote from: pickdropper on January 08, 2013, 05:38:11 AM
Both great builds, but I have to say that the Police themed graphics are freaking wonderful.  That is a build I'd be thrilled to have on my pedal board.

I'd be thrilled to have any of your builds on my board!   ;D

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 08, 2013, 12:19:00 PM
hey dane, where did you get that black paddle toggle switch on the current lover?  me wantie.

Eek... I think I "inherited" that from my late grandfather's stash of parts.  I'll check and see if I have another lying around that I can shoot you...

nzCdog

Sweet builds!  Your finishing is always impressive 8)
If you have a can of matte lacquer, you can always use it as the final coat on top of some gloss layers for better strength too...

eldanko

Quote from: nzCdog on January 08, 2013, 08:54:30 PM
If you have a can of matte lacquer, you can always use it as the final coat on top of some gloss layers for better strength too...

O rly....  8)

varfalex

Hey!! Really nice build and nice to see another fan of Police!
Could you guys help me to fing SCPA charge pump please.
I did several flangers on MN3007 and recently I've made a V6 Electric Mistress using original chip.
I've recorded a demo, sorry for the quality, my need to replace my cheapo camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAq3eTFiTw
Radhe Shyam