News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My weener needs help

Started by octa805, December 13, 2012, 06:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

octa805

I bought this mojo weener PCB from rej which is awesome

See it here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6283.msg54585;topicseen#msg54585

Figured I'd just use the standard wiring diagram, add the buffer back in and I'd be all set

Well, something ain't right. I get bypass so I'm ok there but no wah at all

All my trannies are socketed and hopefully oriented correctly

Is there a unique wiring to use here?

Also, I filled in the buffer section with standard caps. (Radial) should be fine right?

I also got the toggle on a dpdt. That matter?

Try and get pics later but I'm lost. Thot this would be an easy one!

jeffaroo

put your big toe on ground and start probing with your tongue   :o
its got to be something simple
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

octa805

weener probe :)

Just did a ghetto audio probe and there is signal going in but not getting very far down. Just re-touched everything and I'll see if that helps.

octa805

huh. still no work-o.

trannies are as follows:

Q1-mystery? says 8349H on it?
Q2-BC549
Q3-2n5457

Tried flipping them all around and I'm not getting anything different.

this has to be easy but I'm not seeing anything obvious.

I audio probed it and quickly realized I'm a total nerdo and didn't know the audio path. I just started from the IN on the board and followed the little lines on the back and didn't get much signal past the IN. huh.

time to do some crappy pics!

jeffaroo

octa805

ha I know. it's all I got.

any ideas here?

jeffaroo

first i would test all your parts to make sure they are good. you can get a different reading while they are on the board, so be aware. double check all your solder joints and grounds. now look at the drawing and take baby steps. if you dont have a digital multimeter stop and go get one. i love the harbor freight ones. 5 bucks with a hfe test, i buy them 4 at a time! may also think about a audio probe once you verify parts are good.

PS- you do know one of your jacks isnt wired, right ?

jeffaroo

4 trim pots ? the recipe calls for 2
pluck em and drop the resistors in   :o

jeffaroo

R2 & R5

R2 is a 68k
R5 is 2k2 (2.2k)

octa805

thanks man

which jack did I fart up?

octa805

is it maybe just the picture? I'm using a stereo jack for the input and it was rotated a bit. here's another pic where you can see the whole thing.

as for the trimpots & replacing stuff, eh, I know Rej had it working so I'd rather just leave it if possible.

does my bypass switch look ok? this has to be something so basic.

jeffaroo

Your 1ST pic on the right jack, you only have a greenish blue wire.
You cant complete a circuit with one wire !    :o

JakeFuzz

A couple of things just at a brief glance, ill take a closer look at the picture tomorrow:

Your DC jack wiring needs to be fixed. You have wired (or at least it looks like you have) the main supply for the board to the battery terminal on the jack. When the power supply is connected to the jack that lug is actually lifted out of the circuit (this prevents the battery from connecting to our wall wart power supplies and doing bad things to our battery). You want to wire the main power to the top lug.  

Second and probably less critical as Jeff mentioned your ground lug on the output is not connected. Usually this is fine but since you have a slightly painted inside enclosure I would run a wire to it just in case. Usually the enclosure will act as ground though.

Try these and see if that helps.

EDIT: Also after looking a little more you have a second wire besides the board power connected to the 9V of the DC jack. If that is going to a battery connector it is in the right place but your battery ground should be connected to the ring lug of the input jack (to lift the battery out of the circuit when the input isn't plugged in).

If the other power line is going to an LED instead you have a problem with your bypass switch. With an LED and an effect all of the lugs of the main switch should be occupied and I see two lugs left open. Maybe not critical but something to look at.

jeffaroo

they call it a Wiener Wah for a reason ! Thats what you probe with ! Now get probing ! ! ! LOL
Just jkg