News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My weener needs help

Started by octa805, December 12, 2012, 10:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octa805

Quote from: jeffaroo on December 13, 2012, 11:53:14 PM
Your 1ST pic on the right jack, you only have a greenish blue wire.
You cant complete a circuit with one wire !    :o

Thanks for the feedback. I was working off this which shows one wire for the output. was I wrong there somehow?
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf

octa805

Quote from: JakeFuzz on December 14, 2012, 12:06:22 AM
A couple of things just at a brief glance, ill take a closer look at the picture tomorrow:

Your DC jack wiring needs to be fixed. You have wired (or at least it looks like you have) the main supply for the board to the battery terminal on the jack. When the power supply is connected to the jack that lug is actually lifted out of the circuit (this prevents the battery from connecting to our wall wart power supplies and doing bad things to our battery). You want to wire the main power to the top lug.  

Second and probably less critical as Jeff mentioned your ground lug on the output is not connected. Usually this is fine but since you have a slightly painted inside enclosure I would run a wire to it just in case. Usually the enclosure will act as ground though.

Try these and see if that helps.

EDIT: Also after looking a little more you have a second wire besides the board power connected to the 9V of the DC jack. If that is going to a battery connector it is in the right place but your battery ground should be connected to the ring lug of the input jack (to lift the battery out of the circuit when the input isn't plugged in).

If the other power line is going to an LED instead you have a problem with your bypass switch. With an LED and an effect all of the lugs of the main switch should be occupied and I see two lugs left open. Maybe not critical but something to look at.

Thanks! I'll have to double-check some of this when I get off work later.

DC Jack-I'll take a better pic of it later. I  do not have a battery connector. What I do have is the 9v connection from the PCB (white wire) going to the DJ jack going to lug 2 (positive). I also have a red wire coming out from that same connection which I'm going to use to hookup an LED later on.

Lug 1 of the DC Jack (neg) is going out to the sleeve of my stereo jack input.

3dpt-I think the pic is deceptive. I only have one lug open (lug 9 I believe )which I am going to use for an LED later.

Thanks again, appreciate it! I'm guessing the painted enclosure is not grounding it as I expected just as you stated.  I might try and sand it down. Hope that works.

If it does not

Appreciate it everyone!

JakeFuzz

Take a look at this picture. I think you have the main board wired to where the battery+ is. If this is the case then when the DC plug is plugged into the jack there will be no power delivered to the pedal. The top lug labelled board+ is what you want to connect everything to. Again it just looks like that from your picture so I cant be 100%.

I see what you mean about the LED. That all looks fine then if you are saving that lug for later.

octa805

you were totally right on the DC jack. went home for lunch and slapped myself. then I switched it out and now I'm getting readings on the trannies at least but still not working.

also sanded own the output jack area. didn't have time to do the input.

took some new crappy pics. not sure if this will reveal much that is useful.

thanks again for the help.

octa805

Toyed with it some more this evening. Grounded the output

Still nothing. All ideas welcome

Thanks

JakeFuzz

So after tracing your wiring everything looks like it is in place.

Another note: it looks like you are using a 2n2925 transistor in that top position. I can't see the legs but the pinout for the 2n2925 is not normal. It is ECB I believe instead of EBC, rotate that out and see if that helps.

Other than that I would say post transistor voltages and we'll try to see whats up from there. 

octa805

Thanks so much. Appreciate it

I get a low volume signal passing when effect is on now. That's better. But can't hear any wah effect to it

Audio probed a bit more and the 3pdt is great. The signal into board is good through c6 and then gets quite a bit lower after that

Wondering if those trimpots need to be turned up/down?

JakeFuzz

No problem. If you have transistor voltages those would really help. Around C6 sounds like it might be the BC549 (Q2) that could be off. I would double check that to see whats up. I also wouldn't mess with the trimmers. If Rej had them set at a setting that worked I would just leave them until you start passing the effect.

Bassman

I had a similar problem with my weener (can't believe I just typed that  :D )  The problem was the trannies weren't fully socketing so I soldered them into place and boom.. wah city.

Post up the voltages you are getting and that should tell if they are part of the problem.

octa805

Thanks guys. Getting closer I hope

First time I've used my meter for this so hope I'm in the ballpark

From the pic below I went from left to right on Q1

Then from top to bottom on Q2 & Q3

Q1-.12  .14  .75
Q2-.15  .50  8.79
Q3-0     1.61  8.81

And this is how the trannies were oriented at reading

JakeFuzz

Mmm, I can't see the legs of Q1 but I still think you have that in there wrong.

A 2N2925 is ECB, the 2N3565 that the weener is designed for is EBC. You will have to rotate the middle and one of the outer lugs around to get in in there correctly. To me it just looks too straight in that socket, every time I use my 2n2925's they end up sideways to prevent the legs from shorting. I also think this because your collector voltage on Q1 is too low. If you have a 2N3904, BC108 or 2N5088 around try throwing that in the Q1 spot and trying that just to make sure.

octa805

You're right, I did not twist the legs around

I have a BC108 I can try tho

JakeFuzz

Yeah those 2925's get me almost every time. The pinout is weird but they sound awesome; one of my favorite silicon transistors. I would just do a BC108 to test and put the 2n2925 in there when its good to go and hopefully that will solve it!

octa805

Blagh!!! It works with a BC108!

Nice!

Now how do you correctly orient the original tranny?

And how do you dial in the many trimpots? Cuz ill be honest...I moved them all around 😄

Thanks!!!!!!!!

JakeFuzz

Haha, nice!  :D

So here is a picture of one of mine.

You need to rotate those middle and right lugs (C and B) and then it should be match the socket pinout.

The trimmers in order of adjustment will probably be:

R2: Adjust for the effect volume you like and the amount of saturation of Q1 at the inflection point of the sweep

FREQ: Blends two feedback capacitors together to change the center frequency of the wah sweep. adjust until you find the right balance of bass and treble in the toe down position of the sweep. 

R5: This effects the quality of the wah effect and also adds some midrange i feel like. I would adjust this until you get a decent amount of effect coming through. I typically settle on 1.5K.

Peak: This is the least noticeable of the controls IMO. I set it usually in the middle but supposedly it changes the quality factor of the bandpass peak. In which case you would get more effect with a sharper peak but you would start losing some of the frequencies that give the wah its character.

These are all pretty interactive too so once you adjust one you may want to go back and trim up the others to match. Good luck!