News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

boneyard v1 problem

Started by harrisxr650, July 27, 2013, 01:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisxr650

Hey guys this is my first post here seeking advice :) not much experience with pedals building but so far i've build 20-30 pedals mostly for me and some for my friends. To the point...i've build a v1 boneyard for a friend we tested here at my place after i've done with wiring with a crappy psu and sounded awesome no oscillation or anything also we test it with a one spot aswell. The guy called me today and told me that he has a whistle issue like the one we get from bad psu  so i told him to try it with a one spot and to check for bad grounding in the wall plug, he told me he test it in 4 different areas ( 2 studios and 2 rooms at his place) with 3 different psu's and it does the same. for reference i've build 4 of them with suggested part value except the crunch pot which i used 100k log, the high gain pot that i used 500k pot and shielded wires to input and output. I still believe that is a bad psu issue bad if you have any ideas on what else i should look that whould be a great help.
thanks
Harris

gordo

Still doing it while just being powered by battery?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

harrisxr650

I doubt but i asked from the guy to bring to my place along with the psu's he used to power it to check it here that i know i don't have ground issues or anything that could cause a problem like that. will post again as soon as i check the pedal :)
thanks for replying.

pryde

Stick any buffered pedal in front of it. Then you know if its the notorious circuit whine/howl.

harrisxr650

forgot to mention..he told that accidentally he put a reverse polarity psu the first time for 10-15 secs. 

kothoma

Quote from: harrisxr650 on July 27, 2013, 01:41:52 PM
he has a whistle issue like the one we get from bad psu

Quote from: harrisxr650 on July 28, 2013, 09:18:21 AM
accidentally he put a reverse polarity psu the first time for 10-15 secs. 

A whistle issue? Is there only a whistle or is it in addition to the guitar signal?

Is that the right schematic: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Boneyard/docs/Boneyard.pdf ?

harrisxr650

its like a faint high pitched noise and its only  a whistle...not an addition to guitar signal.
the schematic you linked its v2 of the boneyard :)
thanks for replying

kothoma

kothoma

OK, check if there's still -9V at pin 5 of IC2.

If the reverse polarity cooked D4 then it probably cooked IC2 next...

harrisxr650

Thanks, will check as soon as i have the pedal here. One question, if IC2 is cooked shouldn't be the pedal dead as well? I'm asking cause besides the whistling the pedal works.
thanks again

kothoma

So there's still the expected guitar signal but also this whistle? Sorry for getting it wrong.

harrisxr650

yeap, the guitar signal exist yeah but there is that whistle. maybe after the reverse polarity c10 or c11 went defective? just a thought

kothoma

Indeed, C10 could be gone if it was forced long enough and after the diode burned.
And that could explain the whistle.
You probably can see and smell it when you look inside.

harrisxr650

ok. got my hands on the defective boneyard today. i measure dc jack + with pin5 with my dmm and it reads 18v??!! shouldn't be 9v? and second the whistle is still there even with battery use as well as 18v on pin5. Note that i used a MAX1044 and not a TC1044 as madbean suggest. any ideas? thanks

harrisxr650

forgot to mention that i changed Max1044 with a couple of new ones just in case and the problem is still there. also the guy used it with a crappy psu but i test it with 1spot and battery here and still having the same issue.