News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Canadians: $399 50s Tribute SG @ Future Shop

Started by culturejam, March 04, 2015, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: mgwhit on March 05, 2015, 08:04:36 PM
This has been bugging me since this was first posted yesterday: How the hell can you have a 50's Tribute version of a guitar that was introduced in 1961?

Same with the 60's tribute I have, the only thing that was "60's" about it was the neck profile. Had grovers and ugly speed knobs (which I changed).

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 05, 2015, 09:12:39 PM
Quote from: mgwhit on March 05, 2015, 08:04:36 PM
This has been bugging me since this was first posted yesterday: How the hell can you have a 50's Tribute version of a guitar that was introduced in 1961?

Same with the 60's tribute I have, the only thing that was "60's" about it was the neck profile. Had grovers and ugly speed knobs (which I changed).

Cody
[/quote

You beat me to it.  It's the SG tribute to the 50's shape Gibson neck profile.

But yeah, it does sound a bit silly when one considers that the the SG (Les Paul at the time) didn't launch until '61.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

m-Kresol

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 05, 2015, 07:53:56 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 05, 2015, 07:39:41 PM
I'm a 100% lefty who play right to not be stuck in the rut of non-available lefty! :P

Quote from: irmcdermott on March 05, 2015, 07:46:35 PM
This is me too. Although it was my first guitar teacher that encouraged my parents to make me learn to play right handed. Glad he did

Tried playing righty for the same reasons. Just didn't work.  :-[

I have to say, I love to see left handed guitar players. Don't know why, but I kinda dislike when you have a bassist and lets say two guitar players standing on a stage all the same way. :)
Furthermore, I don't get why left handed guitars are that rare or have a way smaller assortment. The days, where you forced children to be right handed are over. There's at least 35% lefties nowadays...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

GermanCdn

I don't envy the plight (sp?) of you lefties at all.  My best friend and former bass player (had to get that order right) is a righty who plays left (for the love of God I don't know why), and for him to find gear is a major pain.  I've actually seen him in the studio playing upside down because no one could find him the equivalent instrument in a lefty. 

Granted, he's a bass player, I guess it doesn't make much difference whether the fat string is on the top or the bottom, cause it's the only one they use....

(ducking behind my couch fort, anticipating the Jimilee onslaught)
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 05, 2015, 09:57:21 PM
I don't envy the plight (sp?) of you lefties at all.  My best friend and former bass player (had to get that order right) is a righty who plays left (for the love of God I don't know why), and for him to find gear is a major pain.  I've actually seen him in the studio playing upside down because no one could find him the equivalent instrument in a lefty. 

Granted, he's a bass player, I guess it doesn't make much difference whether the fat string is on the top or the bottom, cause it's the only one they use....

(ducking behind my couch fort, anticipating the Jimilee onslaught)

I got to jam with a local pro bass player who is a lefty that plays a righty backwards without restringing it.  He's just a fantastic funk and blues player.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how one plays slap bass with the thickest string farthest away from you.  It's all backwards.  He's obviously figured it out.

At one point, I did ask him why he plays like that.  Apparently he learned on his older brother's bass, who wouldn't have been pleased with it being restrung in the opposite direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

blearyeyes

Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

Are these made in China?!

I bought one of these for my son who has been playing for about 5 years now. It was virtually unplayable as delivered. The action was so high and the neck had a major bow in it. His music teacher tried to adjust the truss rod but he was unable to get the action playable. The finish was very rough in places almost like the wood was not sanded properly. To top it off, the knobs on the volume and tone controls are crooked. Huge disappointment over all. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SIGHT UNSEEN.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 05, 2015, 11:47:47 PM
Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

I bought one of these for my son who has been playing for about 5 years now. It was virtually unplayable as delivered. The action was so high and the neck had a major bow in it. His music teacher tried to adjust the truss rod but he was unable to get the action playable. The finish was very rough in places almost like the wood was not sanded properly. To top it off, the knobs on the volume and tone controls are crooked. Huge disappointment over all. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SIGHT UNSEEN.

Might want to add, Did you buy it new? Did you get it from a retail store like Guitar Center online or Sweetwater or was it a mom & pop shop online?

blearyeyes

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 05, 2015, 11:51:50 PM
Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

Might want to add, Did you buy it new? Did you get it from a retail store like Guitar Center online or Sweetwater or was it a mom & pop shop online?

That was from the future shop in the OP.

Govmnt_Lacky

Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

My guess is that instead of a Les Paul he ended up getting a Liu Pol

selfdestroyer

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 05, 2015, 11:54:59 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 05, 2015, 11:51:50 PM
Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

That was from the future shop in the OP.

Got it.. thanks.

Cody

raulduke

I'm another lefty who play right handed guitars.

My first teacher also told my parents it would work out cheaper.

Not really sure if it makes any difference... But then again I've never really tried playing a lefty!

pickdropper

Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

That's really not all that uncommon with mail order, especially with cheaper guitars.  Between bad storage conditions and inconsistent shipping conditions, things can even change a lot from when it was shipped to when it was received. 

Whenever I get a guitar (especially if it's been shipped) I assume it's going to need a serious setup.  If it's been in dry storage, it may need a side file.  If the truss rod is non-functioning, that's a serious problem, but if it just needs a full setup, that's somewhat to be expected.  Same deal with buying guitars off the rack from Guitar Center.

That's why I like getting guitars from the local dealer whenever possible.  Everything that leaves the store gets a proper setup and they'll adjust it a second time if it shifts after acclimation at your house.  They even did a proper setup on the cheap $120 Jay Turser pink sparkle acoustic I bought my daughter.  Doing a free $45 setup on a $120 guitar isn't a great way to make money, but they understand the end goal is a customer that will buy more expensive guitars down the road.
Function f(x)

selfdestroyer

Thats one thing I love about Sweetwater. Even my lowly Squier Classic Vibe strat was touched by their tech before it shipped. I have bought 4 guitars from them so far and each are playable the day I receive them. Now, the classic vibe needed a bit of fret work and the Jag I got needed action set to my liking but they were playable out of box.

Cody

billstein

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 06, 2015, 01:57:05 AM
Thats one thing I love about Sweetwater. Even my lowly Squier Classic Vibe strat was touched by their tech before it shipped. I have bought 4 guitars from them so far and each are playable the day I receive them. Now, the classic vibe needed a bit of fret work and the Jag I got needed action set to my liking but they were playable out of box.

Cody

+1 on Sweetwater. Great customer service and the guitar arrived set up perfectly.

blearyeyes

Seen too many clones on Alibaba from China that even had the made in the USA stamp serial numbers and Gibson logo.. Now days they are being a little more careful. You'll notice they don't let the headstock be photographed etc.  some are playing it safer.. You can order whatever you want for dirt..I guess I'm just paranoid...