News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kl*n Revisited - Kingslayer/Toy Story content

Started by eldanko, November 13, 2012, 05:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

I had prepared this box awhile back to rehouse my original Sunking build  (part of my "Pixar" series seen here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2428.0) with some added clipping options, top mounted jacks, etc etc.  However, after reading several glowing reports of folks with their new Kingslayer builds, I decided to throw that circuit in the box instead thinking I might like it more.  I do.  A lot.

For clippers, I'm using a pair of the famed LM313Hs on one side and a pair of OA126s that I picked up from midwayfair on the other (still lovin' my diode kit).  These two sound remarkably similar despite one being silicon and the other germanium... both have a lot of headroom.  The OA126s seem to have a little more bass, and I find myself using that side more at the moment.   I've got asymmetrical BAT46s as the soft clippers, and they sound lovely until about 3 o'clock on the gain, then they mud up a bit.  I'm getting my favorite sounds with the gain around 3 o'clock and the soft clippers off - crazy touch sensitive, just fun to play.

Hat tip to Jamiroking and his Dudetaur for the bypass switch idea.  I've attached my adaptation of his scheme below for anyone who wants to put their buffer on a switch.  Sorry my illustration isn't quite as pretty as his... it works nicely though.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

midwayfair

the Klooooooon reappears! Woo hoo!

Hope your LM313Hs last in this one give how voltage sensitive they can be and what they cost.

nzCdog

Every bit as awesome as the first one!  Love your build! 8)

Bret608

Love it! Your Pixar builds always remind me of good times watching those movies with my kids. Cool choices on the diodes too.

Which are you liking better, the buffered or true bypass?

eldanko

Quote from: Bret608 on November 15, 2012, 06:48:00 PM
Which are you liking better, the buffered or true bypass?

Oh, the buffered is "almost always better"  ;D

In all seriousness, the buffered does noticeably produce a brighter signal when it's just guitar->pedal->amp or something like that.  I have yet to add it to a pedalboard yet, but both of my boards have buffering pedals on them already, which is why I built in the option...

Quote from: midwayfair on November 13, 2012, 05:30:48 AM
Hope your LM313Hs last in this one give how voltage sensitive they can be and what they cost.

Hmm, in my experimentation, I didn't even realize that there might be a risk associated with using them.  Is this a common problem?
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

midwayfair

Quote from: eldanko on November 15, 2012, 06:53:21 PM
Hmm, in my experimentation, I didn't even realize that there might be a risk associated with using them.  Is this a common problem?

I think either Chromosphere or JakeFuzz detailed it somewhere. They have a ridiculously low voltage tolerance.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: midwayfair on November 15, 2012, 07:35:08 PM
Quote from: eldanko on November 15, 2012, 06:53:21 PM

I think either Chromosphere or JakeFuzz detailed it somewhere. They have a ridiculously low voltage tolerance.

Yeah I popped mine when I set the feedback resistor in my Sunking to 1M to boost the gain. Now they just act like open circuits. I think if you keep the gain structure stock you should be fine.