News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ever get a bad 9v socket?

Started by cajone5, December 09, 2012, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajone5

I've had two builds now with issues with the 9v socket.  The most recent one is wired up per the standard madbean wiring diagram (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf) with a battery.  One lug goes to ground, one goes to the positive terminal of the battery and the last lug goes to the positive terminal of the LED and the 9v in for the board.  When I don't have a plug in the 9v socket the battery works great and the effect and LED work flawlessly.  The second I plug in power (either my PP2+ or a one spot... tried both), the effect dies and the LED goes out.  Seems like since all of the lugs/wires/connections are used to power the effect with the battery it can't be an issue with those, right?  So is this a bad jack?  It's the second effect that has given me issues with the power jack and I'm starting to wonder if they are from a bad batch or something...?

jimilee

Exactly the same thing happened to me last night,the pots were grounding out against the top of the enclosure. Electrical tape on the top of the leads fixed that issue for me.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hammerheadmusicman

I had had a problem recently with some DC sockets, where it worked fine, but with some (not all) Power supplies, the effect would go on and off. We later investigated by cracking one of the sockets open, and it turns out the pole is actually a fraction smaller then it should be - measured with a digital calliper, but can't remember the measurement. This obviously has rendered the 45 or so sockets i have left unusable, and i'm still in a quarrel with the guy who supplied them as he is claiming 'it must be your plugs...'

Give the plug a quick jiggle, and if it comes on and off, could be a similar porblem.

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

cajone5

Quote from: jimilee on December 09, 2012, 10:01:15 PM
Exactly the same thing happened to me last night,the pots were grounding out against the top of the enclosure. Electrical tape on the top of the leads fixed that issue for me.

If the pots are grounding out wouldn't the effect not work regardless?  My pedal works just fine with a battery but when I plug in the DC socket it shuts off...

cajone5

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on December 09, 2012, 11:08:27 PM
I had had a problem recently with some DC sockets, where it worked fine, but with some (not all) Power supplies, the effect would go on and off. We later investigated by cracking one of the sockets open, and it turns out the pole is actually a fraction smaller then it should be - measured with a digital calliper, but can't remember the measurement. This obviously has rendered the 45 or so sockets i have left unusable, and i'm still in a quarrel with the guy who supplied them as he is claiming 'it must be your plugs...'

Give the plug a quick jiggle, and if it comes on and off, could be a similar porblem.

George

Will try wiggling the plug to see if I can get it to work.  Hopefully it's not incorrectly manufactured jacks.  I was about to order some new ones but maybe i'll look into another supplier...

Willybomb

I had this problem when the jacks were grounding against the enclosure intermittedally - I'm not using the standard plastic jacks.  Lining the jack hole with electrical tape fixed the problem.