News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

unread posts since last visit --- empty?

Started by kothoma, October 27, 2014, 07:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kothoma

Every Monday morning the same thing: clicking Show unread posts since last visit. returns an empty list.

Is it only me?

muddyfox

m-Kresol

I only have it when using tapatalk. on my computers it's fine
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

Happens occasionally to me too (on my computer), seems totally random.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

It's only just started happening to me.  I've found that if I log in manually, or at least have to click the "login" button even though both the password and username are all ready filled in my firefox, it works fine.

If, however, I'm logged in automatically, I won't get any unread posts.

sturgeo

This has recently started happening to me too, i also put it down to installing tapatalk on my phone.

sonarchotic

Have had the issue since I joined and does seem linked to the automatic log in.

kothoma

I'm using several computers in different locations and the empty list most often happens after changing the computer.

One resides behind an unknown number of proxies that from time to time issue warnings and after that the list always is empty, too.

So sometimes I'm missing a lot of posts. Using View the most recent posts on the forum. from the index page only shows the last 100 posts. :(

I'm not sure this is linked to the auto login. But if, what works? You logout and login manually from time to time? Or do you disable auto login altogether?

muddyfox

I don't autologin ever and I still get this problem. Tried using tapatalk exclusively, tried using pc exclusively. Nothing I do seems to matter, this thing has a life of it's own apparently.

I gave up worrying about it, even if I do miss a post or two, I catch up in a day or two when unread posts starts working again and someone triggers the thread with a new post. Haven't missed on anything but then again, I don't go a day without checking the board. If I went cold turkey for a week or more, I'm not sure how this thing would play out.

lincolnic

For what's it worth, I've been auto-logged in for years and I've never had this problem.

kothoma

I've searched around a bit about Simple Machines Forum and there's perhaps a workaround :)

I don't know (*) if this link is anywhere accessable from the forum pages but this one doesn't restrict to "since your last visit":

All Unread Topics

This one just adds a ";all" to the URL. You could also add it manually in the browser after getting an empty list.

As I regularly also use the "Mark all messages as read" button to clear all the remaining messages I don't intend to read this would work well.

(*) Yes it is. At the end of the list on the right. But only if the list isn't empty. If the list is empty the bar reads
"No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics." Never saw that "Click here"  :-[