News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX Polyphase! Envelope Controlled Optical Phasing.

Started by Scruffie, November 20, 2011, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm very glad to see this project making some progress. Too bad even with my minimal knowledge that schem looks like a wild puzzle to me. Doesn't stop me from wanting one just as bad.

So the Echoflanger/polychorus/polyflange are essentially the same while the polyphaser is completely different?
I really wanted that polyphaser I almost got from CL. I later tried a guitar center bought polychorus that just turned me off from the whole thing. Its effect was so subtle and didn't really even sound that great. I'm guessing the original's are the holy grails? The new ones must be modified.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 17, 2012, 04:30:45 PM
I'm very glad to see this project making some progress. Too bad even with my minimal knowledge that schem looks like a wild puzzle to me. Doesn't stop me from wanting one just as bad.

So the Echoflanger/polychorus/polyflange are essentially the same while the polyphaser is completely different?
I really wanted that polyphaser I almost got from CL. I later tried a guitar center bought polychorus that just turned me off from the whole thing. Its effect was so subtle and didn't really even sound that great. I'm guessing the original's are the holy grails? The new ones must be modified.
It's not too complex once you break it in to blocks and later in the thread Nelson posted a modified version he did that removed the CMOS switches & rotary in favour of just a 3PDT & SPST toggle to simplify it down a bit, quite buildable... possibly even veroable.

Yup, Polychorus/EchoFlanger & PolyFlange were all the same unit chorus/flange/filter matrix/double track delay (apart from perhaps the odd difference that EHX always had) and the Polyphaser is a phaser.

The Polyphase is an envelope/standard 6 stage phaser, the new units will have been redesigned and as for the Polychorus, the new one is almost completely different in design and many that love the original hate the new ones.
Works at Lectric-FX

djaaz

Found this:

http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ17EHPolyphase.html

That pcb is huge!

A modernized circuit & layout would indeed be a good thing.

pietro_moog

Scruffie

I saw a gut shot of the new production ones, only 4 vactrols so it is a significant redesign, if that means it has only 4 stages or 2 extra fixed to make 6 i'm not sure... but it aint a polyphase.
Works at Lectric-FX

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk