News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to add a 2nd headphone jack?

Started by Om_Audio, June 30, 2013, 03:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Om_Audio

I have a Roland SP-404SX sampler and it has a headphone jack on the bottom edge. I'd like to add one to the top or other location but i feel like simply tapping the existing jack could cause problems. Wondering if i need to employ any diodes or resistors or skunk oil to make it happen properly. I have built a few pedals but do not understand basic EE enough to know what this simple mod would need to perform best.
Pics-
https://plus.google.com/photos/105266388149148864163/albums/5895103653797123601?authkey=CMeY0u6Vxa_NqQE
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

jimilee

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to just use a splitter or splitter cable and save yourself a load of work so you could build more pedals instead? ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

First of all, thanks for that image. It gave me another name for those low profile jacks that I can't find a source for. Not that I can find this brand anywhere either >:(.

Do you want to use both jacks at once? If so, then you could have some issues. It depends on your headphones and the amplifier circuit a bit.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Om_Audio

Hey there,  the goal is to not have the jack in my groin when I am using it in my lap,  there will be no need for 2 headphones at once as far as I can imagine. I thought about a right angle adapter but why use one of those when you can drill,  solder,  and potentially break something instead?
;D

RobA

You should be OK then just paralleling off the connection points that are there for the first jack. As long as there is nothing plugged into the first jack with an impedance across it, then the amplifiers won't see anything from them and it'll be just like the original setup.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Om_Audio

Ahhh that is good news. Maybe a 1/8" AND a 1/4" are in order!
:)

drezdn

Om_Audio

Came out GREAT- thanks for your help!!

I wanted a headphone jack at the top of the unit so I could use it in my lap without damaging the orig headphone jack or my groin- hah. I thought about having 2 additional jacks (1/4" and an 1/8") but for now just went with 1/8' for starters. Basic idea is daisy chain as many jacks as you want but only use one at a time so as not to strain or damage the circuitry. This turned out better than expected! Special thanks to my friends at madbeanpedals.com forums for helping me (because i don't know shit about electricity basically ;)

pics of process in the link below:
https://plus.google.com/photos/105266388149148864163/albums/5896318804032590433?authkey=CKOchq6H_LX5ogE

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.