News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Stone (Tonepad)

Started by LaceSensor, July 05, 2013, 06:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Build this up.
Its the Tonepad layout. PCB wasnt that great. Single sided with solder mask, but due to misaligned mask, some of the pads were really small. And it was just in general feeling a bit harder to solder to. This lead to some issues around a suspected cold solder joint on a ground somewhere.

Anyway got it finished and boxed up. Using one of the ColesBD hammertone (this ones brown, obvs) with a small blem on the top, but what the heck, its a really nice box still.

Uses CA3080e chips which I scored a number of on ebay a while back for peanuts.
The knob is one of those nice metal style ones from Tayda, suitably vintage.
The build includes the r11 / 42 (iirc) mods, but I used a 20k trim to get the signal at unity with bypass.
I might etch a plate at some point, I think copper on the brown will look nice.

For now its unlabelled.

jubal81

Very, very nice work. Love to hear a soundclip if you get a chance.

Speaking of Tonepad, I won't be ordering again. I don't like the boards much, either, but what I think is distasteful is that the pictures on his site look like fabbed boards with plated through holes. Then you get something that Keef could have done a much better job with.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Gledison

Niceee and pretty neat wiring!
I need to learn how to do this..ehhehe
what kind of input/output jacks did you use?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

pickdropper

That looks nice and neat.  Great job.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

croquet hoop

Really nice build. Those enclosures from ColesBD are really great looking.

From what I can see, I guess the jacks are Switchcraft 111/112?

drezdn

LaceSensor

The jacks are the type that are black plastic boxes, t/r/s type.
Not the proper switch raft ones just cheaper knock offs. I used these so I could use double side foam tape to help anchor the board, it's quite a tight build in a 125b still...

Weirdly with the phase switch down it pops in bypass, even with pull downs on the ins and outs, have to work out why sometime :( otherwise its nice and sounds just like a small stone.

twin1965

Quote from: croquet hoop on July 05, 2013, 11:46:54 PM
Really nice build. Those enclosures from ColesBD are really great looking

+1

Guts are really nice and neat  :)

nzCdog