News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SSD advice

Started by pickdropper, June 04, 2013, 04:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

migel_prado

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 04, 2013, 05:01:47 PM
just curious- how long did your drive last before it went tits up?

Data is so critical that you should maintain backup irrespective of any use case wherhte it would be HDD or SSD but SSD is always a better option. You could go for Sf based Intel which has a very good read/write speed, faster performance as well, i can recommend you to go with Intel 520.

noobtoob

Quote from: croquet hoop on June 04, 2013, 05:19:57 PM
The drive in question is a 6 week old Samsung 840 Pro.  Supposedly one of the more reliable ones. 

Well... I thought I was safe, but these drives are supposed to be bulletproof! My money is all on you getting the dud. Sorry to hear it went dead, but at least you had a semi-recent backup.

pickdropper

Quote from: noobtoob on July 30, 2013, 03:38:51 PM
Quote from: croquet hoop on June 04, 2013, 05:19:57 PMThe drive in question is a 6 week old Samsung 840 Pro.  Supposedly one of the more reliable ones.  

Well... I thought I was safe, but these drives are supposed to be bulletproof! My money is all on you getting the dud. Sorry to hear it went dead, but at least you had a semi-recent backup.

Well, the memory itself is fairly bulletproof but the controllers aren't.  And I found out that they are close to unrecoverable when they die.  If you can recover the data, it's very expensive.

I'll still use them because the speed is worth it, but I've gone to nightly backups because of this.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Beedoola

now that you all have my paranoid (or perhaps appropriately cautious), I'm thinking of getting an external drive (ssd) to backup to macbook. Any suggestions?

RobA

Quote from: Beedoola on July 31, 2013, 11:53:25 PM
now that you all have my paranoid (or perhaps appropriately cautious), I'm thinking of getting an external drive (ssd) to backup to macbook. Any suggestions?
I don't use SSD for my backup disks. I usually have either multiple snapshots of my drives and/or multiple computers backed up to the same backup disk. It would cost way too much to back up to SSD.

The best thing to do would be to use a RAID setup for your backup. Those can still be a bit expensive and I haven't gone that far yet. I just use a cheap external USB 1TB drive for backup. Whatever is cheap with good reviews at the time is fine for this purpose for me. I'd rather put the money in the internal SSD and save on the backup system. The one I've been using for the past couple of years is from Iomega and it's been good. I have a LaCie firewire disk that I've got other computers backed up on. It stays on the network all the time and has been running perfectly for a few years now.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

culturejam

Quote from: Beedoola on July 31, 2013, 11:53:25 PM

For backups, I'd use a traditional spinning platter hard drive. They are cheap, ubiquitous, and have decent operating lives (in most cases).

I have a 500GB "intermediary" backup drive, and a 2TB network-attached drive for full machine backups and longer-term storage (and also network streaming of media).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pryde

Been thinking about better backup options so this thread is putting a fire under my arse.

I would like a wireless hard drive I could connect to from my laptop and do backups to it. Not sure what the best (and least expensive option) is to do this? Does this type of hard drive hook up to my wireless cable router or something?

Thanks for any advice

chromesphere

Hey guys,

Im half a computer technician.  The left half is the computer technician part.  Thought i might be able to offer some advise.

For our office i use rsync.  Some of you linux/unix folk will know what that is, but for those that dont, its a rock solid back up transfer program that can be ported (will run across the internet). As we run windows servers, i use 'deltacopy' which is the graphical windows version of rsync.

Its a bit of a bastard to set up, but once its going it just keeps going and going.  You can also set up deltacopy to email you a success or failture notice after its scheduled to run.  I run ours overnight from the server at work to my server at home and back the other way (for personal stuff). 

Oh yeah, and its free. :)

Offsite back up is the most reliable.  If someone busts into your house and steals your pc's, your gone.  Or if your house catches fire.  Low odds of either but still peace of mind.  And with rsync, you will have your latest back up and not one you did from months ago.

Some technical knowledge is required to get this stuff ^^^ going though.
Cheers,
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube