News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Beginner's Drill Press

Started by alanthing, June 08, 2013, 05:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanthing

I'm interested in a drill press that I can use occasionally (2 or 3 times a year really) for pedals, I can't see myself drilling anything thicker than a standard pedal box.

Would something like this Mini Drill Press be under-powered? Not sure if it matters, but I also have these step bits that I was planning on using (when using a friends' drill press). I got the step bits because parts I got from Mammoth didn't have any diameter specs.

If this is not the right kind of drill press, what would you recommend for a beginner and light use?

EDIT: After watching this video, now I'm thinking a drill press is overkill- what to experts around here use?

madbean

That might be fine. Speeds up to 8k RPM is pretty good for that size. Only concern would be how much clearance to you have with the drill fully extended. You need to be able to drill the tops sides of enclosures, which are about 4.6".

Here's an alternative for about the same price. Slower speeds, but I've been using one like this for a while and it's decent enough.

http://www.harborfreight.com/speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

gtr2

I just got one like Brian linked a couple weeks ago for around $40 with a coupon and on sale.   But....I've built well over 100 pedals with just a cordless drill and step bit.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

alanp

I used a handheld power drill for a year. I still use it for the side jacks. It's slower to finish than the drill press, but it gets the job done just as well, provided you don't rush the job. Mind you, *I* use a set of bits from 3mm to 13mm in 0.5mm increments, not a step bit  :P
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

I've put my order in for fathers day. I showed my wife the press Brian linked to with a note that said THIS!
I like a press better,becasue the handheld tend to walk a bit.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryde

Maybe overkill for your needs but I use Skil 10" benchtop drill press. Really accurate and a good value for the money. I don't use it for just pedals but also for instrument making and repairs in my small shop. You can get it at Lowes for ~$125

http://www.lowes.com/pd_197820-46922-3320-01_4294702901%2B4294965262__?identifier=Tools%2FPresses-Lathes%2FSkil&productId=1207335&rpp=32&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&searchQueryType=1

gordo

You'll likely find that the nicest part of a drill press is drilling accurate pilot holes.  I use a tiny bit to drill all pilots and can then either use the right size bit on the press or a stepper bit in a hand drill.  My Ryobi is nothing to write home about but does a nice job, is very consistent, and works well for guitar work as well.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

Used a hand drill for everything for a few decades, got a small benchtop drill press for Christmas a few years ago, best present ever, use it all the time for far more then the occasional pedal i build.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

timbo_93631

I use this benchtop from Grizzly tools:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Speed-Baby-Drill-Press/G7942

The mini press you linked would be nice for drilling pcb's sitting at a table, but for enclosures I'd spend an extra $30 and get a benchtop.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

stevie1556

I've got a Sealey (sp?) bench drill press and it's great. I think it's about £105, but there is a cheaper one made by Silverline that's about £50 but the build quality was crap.

*edit* just realised that you're in America, so disregard what I said above as you will probably be able to get cheaper ones it there.

What Brian said, make sure you get enough clearance with the press to drill the sides of the boxes. My one is classed as a hobby one so it's slightly shorter then the bigger ones in the range, but to drill the sides of a 1590BB box I need to move the table out the way and prop up the clamp with something smaller so the step drill bit can reach fully. It's fine for the sides of the other boxes though.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Vallhagen

...and i have one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EINHELL-BT-BD-401-BENCH-DRILL/dp/B0012MBPCW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_3/279-0748564-0701840

... when i looked around to buy one, it seems pretty obvious that they are "all the same" in this price cathegory(?) ... I think my Einhell machine is veeeeerrrryyy lookalike timbo's grizzly one, pryde's skil as well as madbean's.

For my first boxes i used a handheld one, but i found this bench drill machine was so cheap i couldnt afford to not buy one ... and it does the work when drilling PCB-s as well.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

hoodoo

Hey mate, not much more to say than what's been said, drill press is definitely the way to go. A cheaper option, what i have, is a press that allows you to mount your hand drill in, works the same, but allows your drill to be removed for other uses. AlanP do you really change your drill bit 10 times to drill a side jack  :o, or did i read that wrong, stepbits also a must have IMO, Matt.

pickdropper

Do any of you folks with drill presses have an X-Y table for it?  When I get a drill press, the X-Y will have to happen at the same time.

I usually use a mill with an X-Y on there, but I am really using it more as a drill press than a mill.  The X-Y really makes it a lot easier to drill accurate holes, plus it clamps the enclosure while you are drilling it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

das234

Quote from: pickdropper on June 09, 2013, 07:09:26 AM
Do any of you folks with drill presses have an X-Y table for it?  When I get a drill press, the X-Y will have to happen at the same time.

I usually use a mill with an X-Y on there, but I am really using it more as a drill press than a mill.  The X-Y really makes it a lot easier to drill accurate holes, plus it clamps the enclosure while you are drilling it.

I have a floor model drill press I use for woodworking that I also use for pedals.  I've got the x-y table too but, for me, marking the hole locations with a center punch and holding the enclosure by hand is quick, easy and does a good job.  I just have to maintain my iron grip so I don't get whacked by something (thank you, lessons taught to me by woodworking).

davent

To go with the drillpress get quality drill bits from a specialty dealer not the crap sold at big box stores, that goes for the indispensable step bits too. I too break the rules and handhold enclosures while drilling but with great bits i can release the enclosure while drilling and it doesn't budge as the bit goes through, table top friction is enough to hold the enclosure in place after initial start of hole and the exit.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?