News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quartet of Over Drives

Started by stevewire, June 12, 2013, 11:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewire

I usually forget to post any build reports.  Usually I am too excited about the new toy that I just finished assembling.  Also I tend to feel other people have better "finishing skills".  I have built a fair amount of pedals, but I have never added labeling or art work.  So I tend to feel others have more impressive projects to share.

One thing that I do enjoy is sourcing the parts; although, that can be a headache also.  So there might be something that others might like to see.  Even if it can be a little rediculous.

First up my Krankosaurus.  This was the first project I used my new drill press on.  I enjoyed the PCB mounted pots.  22n cap for the input.

Next up is my EggHead.  After playing around with it for awhile I added a Road Rage to run it at 18v.  Had to desolder the 16v electro first.

Next, the Super Happy Over Drive.  I loved my Yellow Shark so much, I had to build this one.  I didn't intend for it to look so much like a Honey Bee though.

And last my King of Klones.  The Aristocrat has been on my board for so long, I thought I would try to update it with this guy.  I just ordered a Road Rage for it.  So it will have some updating itself.

I wish I had a better camera to capture the detail in the finishes of the last two.  They are beautiful in person.

Stomptown

Great work! I wish I had a drill press. That Krankasaurus is drilled to perfection! The finish on the Super Happy had me squinting my eyes trying to see the detail. Is that a brushed finish/ translucent powdercoat? It looks amazing! FWIW I wouldn't be discouraged to post just because you don't have a fancy finish. I think most of us enjoy the gut shots as much, if not more that the exterior shots.  :)

stevewire

Hey Stomptown.
Thank you for checking them out.  Yes, the last two have the "diamond brushed" pattern from Pedal Parts Plus.  I am not real into the color gold, but when that enclosure arrived I was so impressed.  Definitely my favorite looking pedal.

Actually if you take the hardware off, you can see how it wasn't drilled to perfection.  I was surprised at how much I could be off and still make it work.  Definitely a learning experience with the drilling.  Ordered three undrilled enclosures today.

Parra

gordo

Do you notice much difference running any of these at 18V?  I've had the Egg built for ages but just got around to boxing it up last night.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lincolnic

These are all great, but that trio of giant caps on the Egghead is the icing on the cake.

jprizz

Hey you don't need letters or pictures to make a pedal look great! Those are all worthy of posting about. They all look great!

alanp

Anyone with paint like that has no room to talk. Have you seen my pedals? Bare aluminium with indian ink and clear nailpolish. Aesthetically, yours look far, far better :)

Also, love the look of those Russian PIO (?) caps. Is the Krank laid out for 1/8W resistors?  :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stevewire

Thanks everyone for taking the time to check these out.

Gordo,
Yes, I like the Egghead at 18v.  Sounds a little bigger, has a little more output and it's a tad bit cleaner.  I run my Timmy at 18v.  I run the SHOD at 12v.  I am planning on adding a Road Rage to the King of Klones (which I have been running at 12v).  Is your forum name a reference to the movie Stand By Me?  Always loved that movie.

Alanp,
The layout for the Krank says to use 1/4w resistors, but it certainly fits 1/8w.  I was curious, so I used both 1/8w metal film and carbon composition.  Before this I had never seen 1/8th carbon comps.  And yes those are Russian PIOs and a polystyrene in the Egghead.  I wanted to keep it close the vibe of the Gainster.

eldanko

How's the SHOD compare to the Yellow Shark? The Shark is one of my favorite overdrives evar.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

stevewire

Hey eldanko,
My Yellow Shark is thicker and has more low end than my SHOD.  The SHOD is brighter, considerable less low end, more gain and generally I would say it has more "zip" to it.  When my AC30 is loud I don't much worry about the decreased low end.  The SHOD seems a little more modern sounding.  I hear the similarities, but they are different.  I just ordered a Happy Birthday OD board from JMK and I am sourcing parts for a Supreux Deux board.  I definitely like this sort of thing.

Bret608

These all look great! Those pointer knobs are my favorite, and those new pewter and cookies 'n' cream colors from PPP look fantastic in these pictures. All really nice builds.

mjcyates

I love all of them. I really like the clean elegant look.

gordo

Quote from: stevewire on June 13, 2013, 12:20:13 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to check these out.

Gordo,
Yes, I like the Egghead at 18v.  Sounds a little bigger, has a little more output and it's a tad bit cleaner.  I run my Timmy at 18v.  I run the SHOD at 12v.  I am planning on adding a Road Rage to the King of Klones (which I have been running at 12v).  Is your forum name a reference to the movie Stand By Me?  Always loved that movie.

Yeah, me too, but no the name actually came from a commercial.  Can't remember who the commercial was for but it had a dweeb accountant (Gordo) pestering a new hire about getting a company car.  The new guy smirks: "I'll take a nice red one Gordo..." and for some reason my wife stuck on the phrase and the name.   
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?