News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Osiris Fuzz (mudbunny pharaoh) with Demo!

Started by pryde, June 17, 2013, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortexturizer

Incredibly well done my friend!
It just so happens that I am in a bus heading towards Greece and we got stuck at the border so I decided to take a look at the forum and of course there were so much beautiful builds waiting for me to admire them.
I find it a little strange that you have been experiencing a slight pre gain effect by the r13 turned to pot mod,it seemed to make hell of adifference even in Si mode with my builds...aaaah what the hell every one of these bad boys is different thats why you just...gotta...build...some more.
the amount of dist/fizz really had much more to do with the type of other components used rather than transistors,at last thats what i've found.
regards frienda see ya in ten days or so hehe

Let the germanium flow.
Flow river wide,
Ocean deep.

there's a fuzzed out haiku for you guys, ciao!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jkokura

Quote from: Cortexturizer on June 19, 2013, 02:54:39 PM
Let the germanium flow.
Flow river wide,
Ocean deep.

Uh... Haiku's are 5-7-5... that's a nice poem though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Cortexturizer

We should make a poetry topic where we would praise fuzz and germanium. The Centaur as well. Maybe smt in the lines of

On a Saturday evening hour
I found her shivering hand
the rehearsal went well
so I gave her my Centaur.
It melt her hand like germanium sand
the NOS diodes were just too much.

I am sorry guys,this waiting at the border is killing me.
pryde sorry man for hijacking the topic i adore this build of yours,now we are waiting to see what will ghost of thoad bring us! Really anxious to see

pryde

No problem. I can dig poetry also  :)

When you get a chance listen to the demo, maybe with some headphones. I would like to hear your thoughts on how it sounds (as compared with yours).

Also, I may need to do more looking into the R13 mod as mine produces pretty subtle changes overall. I am hoping to get more of that scratchy-pick attack sound out of it.

GhostofJohnToad

Pryde - got mine almost done.  How did you wire the highs pot?  Does it come off r19?  And if so does lugs 1 and 2 get connected to each other? Thx

alanp

Pryde, I loved the drone part of the demo! Was that just the muff?

Quote from: Cortexturizer on June 19, 2013, 03:27:18 PM
so I gave her my Centaur.

Oh, is THAT what they call it? Kinky ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

@johntoadsghost:
Yes R19 is highs pot, link lugs 1 and 2 as you said.
Are you going to try the "pregain/attack" mod? If so, same thing to R13 but use a 10kb pot.

@alanp:
the drone section was just the fuzz with a bit of delay (zero point mini) and an E-bow to get the violin and cello like sounds. I don't use that Ebow very often so I kinda suck at it but some people can use that thing for some super-cool sounds. kinda pricy for a new one though.

Stomptown

:o

Dang man, Your etches are just pristine! I LOVE the artwork on this one. Well done!!!

Cortexturizer

I finally got the chance to pay all the deserved attention to this build Pryde. What an AWESOME demo! And the pedal looks GREAT!!!
I loved the cello sounds, LOVED them. As to the other two flavors, very nice, I love the low gain, the second one. The stoner rock sound I liked as well but ultimately I felt like your particular build lacked some low end and some bite, some anger if you will, but that might be a result of certain settings you used or if you have a lighter pick attack. Not a bad sound by all means it sounds great, I just wanted it to growl somehow I don't know. But I am almost certain it has to do with the pick attack while you play, I do admit that personally I torture the strings a lot while I am playing, and I do feel that this effect needs that. Still, I don't own a Pharaoh build. I don't. I made a couple for friends and they are over the moon with those but personally I don't need one since I don't use that type of sounds live [yet].
I don't really think Pryde that this kind of fuzz is for you, or me to tell you the truth, I might be wrong. I have a feeling that we both come from a "tighter" background since we love the preserved pick attack and kinda dislike the overly compressed and flubby low end sound...I got a little bit out of track here, sorry, the bottom line is, your pedals sounds like it should, and If you are not perfectly satisfied with it don't sweat over it because some people that I know can make a NYC regular production model muff sound like the tightest craziest meatiest thing ever, and when I approach their setup and try and play it sounds like total crap.
It's a great pedal it can really do a lot, but I remain faithful to the Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, Centaur, and other types of dirt.
Cheers! Looking forward to your next build friend.

Oh, and you should definitely pursue that ebow cello playing style, it sounds fantastic! we want to hear more of that! [and you are right, this pedal really does the trick with that!]

pryde

@Cortex
Thanks for your listening and giving some good, honest feedback. Overall I am pretty happy with this one honestely. There are 3 "complaints" I might have with it and your insights where spot on. I would like more pronounced pick attack (could be by playing style thats at fault), more bass/low end as you said, and finally I find the noise floor is pretty high. I get a lot of hiss even at low gain settings.

Of course, the quest for fuzz will continue as it is written by the Gods  ;)

Cortexturizer

Hm, well actually I was thinking of going in another direction to be quite frank. If you wait a little I might get a layout going soon of a fuzz pedal that I intend building for myself after initially having it built for my bass player.
Nothing fancy or groundbreaking in there, I was just adding features after every rehearsal basically.
It's a Devi Ever Soda Meiser with input and output caps bumped [cause it's for bass], but then I added a clean blend, and in the end I put a LPB-1 booster on the output to increase the volume that the clean blending stage seemed to got a little decreased.
I am telling you that thing rips on guitar. It has no tone control, but I might try putting a James tone stack in there. Baxandall, or whatever it's called.
So the end result should contain a pcb with board mounted pots [though if I go baxandall I doubt they will be board mounted], and electronic switching, Wicked Switches style with momentary switch. I might start a topic soon, cause I have never designed a layout so help would be appreciated.
That thing is a bomb on bass and a muff killer, but I LOVED it with my Tele so much that I am willing to do this.
What guitar do you usually play btw?

pryde

Man that sounds like an awesome circuit idea. I would love to try it out. I also don't do circuit layouts but am considering to learn eagle and start that journey soon.

As far as guitars I give equal love to my Les Paul, Strat, and my P-90 equipped tele. They all shine in their respective areas for sure. The pharaoh demo was done on the LP however as the humbuckers provided more gain and meatiness.

billstein

Just saw this. Great build and great demo.

I was trying to figure out how you got that drone sound. The bass notes while playing the higher notes on the Ebow. Was that two tracks? Reason I"m asking is, I've got an Ebow and need to figure out how to do that!

pryde

Quote from: billstein on July 02, 2013, 10:34:37 AM
Just saw this. Great build and great demo.

I was trying to figure out how you got that drone sound. The bass notes while playing the higher notes on the Ebow. Was that two tracks? Reason I"m asking is, I've got an Ebow and need to figure out how to do that!

Yep 2 tracks just using a looper (TC Ditto). just ebow'ed the top E with the looper on then played the ebow over the top of that.

ch1naski

I'm on my phone so can't check out the demos, but between this fantastic build and all the good things I hear, and Cortex's build, I'm sold. Etched me a board from a pharaoh layout I found....can't wait.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.