News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Osiris Fuzz (mudbunny pharaoh) with Demo!

Started by pryde, June 17, 2013, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

So after being inspired by cortexturizers great sounding pharaoh I wanted to give one a go. I built it up on a mudbunny and also borrowed cortext's "pre-gain" mod and placed a 10k pot at R13. I labeled it "attack" on the pedal. After trying TONS of transistor combos I ended up wth a BC550 in Q1 and 2n5089s in Q2-Q4. I tried some lower gain transistors but they all sounded fizzy and starved in this circuit.

Did another etched graphic and like how it turned out pretty well. The sides are still powdercoat almond.

Anyway, I am digging it so far and have found atleast a few very usable settings in my initial go. See the sound demo below as well for 3 unique flavors.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jpparlier/osiris-fuzz[/soundcloud]

JakeFuzz

Totally sweet build. That demo is fantastic. Is that an e-bow you used to make those violin like arpeggio sounds? That is so cool.

pryde

Quote from: JakeFuzz on June 17, 2013, 12:58:21 PM
Totally sweet build. That demo is fantastic. Is that an e-bow you used to make those violin like arpeggio sounds? That is so cool.

Yes it is. I don't use that crazy little thing that often but it is fun once in a while. This fuzz is actually the first one that sounds ok with an e-bow.

fendman

Hey Pryde that is awsome I love the faux cello sound...what would J. S Bach have thought!!!

Great build and the soundtrack is just fantastic :)  I hate you really,but in a nice way.

Great work that seems to get better and better.

Lovin it 8)

Mike

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

croquet hoop

Great demo, especially the first part, and the enclosure is awesome. How do you etch the top of a powdercoated enclosure, do you just have it powdercoated, sand the top and etch it?

pryde

Thanks everyone.

Yes the enclosure started as a full powdercoated one from PPP. Then the face of it met the belt sander  ;D. I did not have any plain enclosures left so I had to improv. I think it would have looked even slicker starting with a black enclosure.

GhostofJohnToad

Pretty sweet etching and the demo is pretty smooth too!  The ebow sounds so nice!

What's different on the mudbunny to make it a pharaoh? what mudbunny variant did you use as the base?  I haven't found a schem for the pharaoh so I'm curious.  I was going to build it from the vero cortexturizer referenced but I have a mudbunny coming so maybe that would be the easier route.

cooder

Awesome awesome pedal, great look, great sound!
I'm also keen to build one on a mudbunny board and wonder as well what schematic you used for it and about the pre gain mod?!?
I found this when I searched around (on the Kit Rae website). Is that similar to what you did?
BigNoise Amplification

Guitarmageddon

Slick build and cool demo!
Cooder, that Kit Rae schem has a few errors. All those coupling caps should be 470n.
It doesn't sound bad with 47n, but the 'correct' value is definitely 470n.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

pryde

See the attachment for values to use on the mudbunny. I crossed referenced with a known verified schematic from FSB and rechecked against sabrotones vero so I "think" its correct.

The "pre-gain/attack mod" is suggested by cortexturizer. Just place a 10kB pot in R13 on the mudbunny. It makes the resistance variable between the 2nd and 3rd gain stage (normally a 6.2k fixed resistor). I think the effect is minimal when using silicon clipping but it seams to produce a more pronounced pick attack with the germ or lifted clip options. Still need to play with it more though.

hoodoo

Great etch mate, love how the scarab's holding the LED, first time i think i've seen a powdercoated/etched enclosure, sweet demo too, Matt.

Thomas_H

Thats fun-tastic.
I love every aspect of it - starting from the enclosure and graphics, getting on with the build itself, finishing with this great demo!

respect!
DIY-PCBs and projects:

cooder

Great, thanks for posting those parts value for Mudbunny board! Awesome stuff, agree to all the good comments...!
BigNoise Amplification