News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Double Chorus request

Started by jimilee, July 17, 2013, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I would love to see a double chorus PCB. I'd never even heard of one until recently.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Like the BOSS DC-2? Or have you got something else in mind.

Btw, I know Behringer get a lot of hate but there DC-2 clone is supposedly very good and the price for a 2 BBD effect can't be knocked.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Mr black pedals has an awesome one, sounds super wavy. I didn't realize anyone else made one. Behringer.....
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Ah... that's a bit different and also digital.

Close as you'll get DIY analog will be the DC-2 though probably, or the Behringer clone as mentioned.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Behringer.... I wonder what it would sound like to put to choruses in a 1590bb and use them both at the same time.

ch1naski

Jack is doing some really cool stuff . I built a clone of his latest opamp booster, sounds pretty damn good. But his modulation stuff is way way cool.
one louder.

ch1naski

one chorus feeding another an already modulated signal? hmmm
one louder.

jimilee

Yes, more is more better right? It would either be really cool, or a noisy mess.

RobA

Hmm, the PCB I just sent off to be prototyped can generate LFO's in quadrature. If you don't mind spending a ton on BBD's ...

As far as Behringer goes, I've got their clone of the EHX Small Stone. It's kinda crappily made, but it sounds incredible -- hard to beat really.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

Hmmm. Spending a ton on bbd's isn't fun...what are you designing?

RobA

Well, it's not specific to a chorus. It's a programmable, digital control board for outputting various CV type things. Since the CV's are programmable, they can be made to put out pretty much any waveform and voltage level. So, you could take a couple of chorus boards, and replace their LFO's with output from this board and get them to be a really deep chorus. From doing chorus effects in digital, I think that quadrature LFO's do a really nice job of creating dense chorus sounds. It would also just be possible to make a board that had two choruses on it, could be BBD or PT2399 or anything else, and control them from the other board too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Scruffie

Quote from: jimilee on July 17, 2013, 08:31:31 PM
Behringer.... I wonder what it would sound like to put to choruses in a 1590bb and use them both at the same time.
Not how you'd like :D

The DC-2 uses 2 BBDs and 2 Clocks with inverted LFOs if I recall... so they're in sync.

Quote from: RobA on July 17, 2013, 08:39:34 PM
Hmm, the PCB I just sent off to be prototyped can generate LFO's in quadrature. If you don't mind spending a ton on BBD's ...

As far as Behringer goes, I've got their clone of the EHX Small Stone. It's kinda crappily made, but it sounds incredible -- hard to beat really.
I dunno, i've got the behringer small stone too, the knob and toggle are a little cheap yeah but once you true bypass it, it's got a decent metal enclosure, I think they can take a decent beating.

Always a rehouse job!

Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on July 17, 2013, 08:58:17 PM
[...]
I dunno, i've got the behringer small stone too, the knob and toggle are a little cheap yeah but once you true bypass it, it's got a decent metal enclosure, I think they can take a decent beating.

Always a rehouse job!

Yeah, this is exactly right and I haven't even bothered to rehouse mine yet. The pot doesn't feel like it's going to break or anything. At some point, I'll probably pull it apart and mix it in with something else. It really does sound good.

Is the Behinger DC-2 clone a couple of BBD's? That could be interesting.

ch1naski

Quote from: jimilee on July 17, 2013, 08:31:31 PM
Not how you'd like :D

The DC-2 uses 2 BBDs and 2 Clocks with inverted LFOs if I recall... so they're in sync.

Quote from: RobA on July 17, 2013, 08:39:34 PM

Always a rehouse job!

yea, the synchronizing is the part i was wondering about.
one louder.

Scruffie

Quote from: RobA on July 17, 2013, 09:16:37 PM
[...]

Always a rehouse job!

Yeah, this is exactly right and I haven't even bothered to rehouse mine yet. The pot doesn't feel like it's going to break or anything. At some point, I'll probably pull it apart and mix it in with something else. It really does sound good.

Is the Behinger DC-2 clone a couple of BBD's? That could be interesting.
Don't think I will rehouse mine, I dig the big old EHX style boxes.

2 x 3207 BBDs, 2 x 3102 Clocks, 2 x 571 Companders, just like the original, only cool audio chip instead of panasonic.

For $30 or whatever it is (and the price of an original) insane bargain, think the Behringer even offers up a few more tonal options due to the switch type used if i'm not mistaken.
Works at Lectric-FX